Note and lyric spacing issue

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Dann
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Dann » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:44 am

Finale 26, Windows
I'm working on an SSATBB choral score, and to save space have placed the lyrics for the two soprano parts between the staves rather than under each stave. The same with the Bass parts. In both cases I actually attached the lyrics to the upper part.
My issue is that the note spacing in some eighth note runs has adjusted to fit the lyrics in the upper part properly, but not the lower part, so the soprano 2 and bass 2 notes no longer line up with their lyrics. This seems to happen when there are a differing number of accidentals in the upper and lower runs.
I have tried all three spacing options; all make it worse as the lyric spacing is now ignored.
Is there a way to attach a lyric line to two staves simultaneously, or an option to move individual notes horizontally?

Dann

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:55 pm

It would help to see a sample Finale file. One page showing the spacing problems would be good—just delete all of the surrounding measures.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Dann

Post by Dann » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:36 pm

Here is a snip showing the issue in one bar. The top two staves are Soprano 1 and 2. The C# in Sop 1 lines up properly with the lyric word up. The B in Sop 2 does not. The bottom two staves are the Bass parts, and they do line up, presumably because the accidentals line up.

[img]misaligned.jpg[/img]

Vaughan
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by Vaughan » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:53 pm

What has happened is that you entered the two soprano parts on one staff and then exploded them to two staves. Finale spaced the soprano notes which were a second apart by [correctly] offsetting the lower voice. When you exploded the parts, this shift remained [incorrectly] due to your music spacing settings. If you set Document Options/Music Spacing/Manual Positioning to Clear instead of Ignore or Incorporate and then respace, these spacing issues will disappear.

Dann

Post by Dann » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:59 am

Although that isn't the way I entered the music, your suggestion worked. It was setting Manual Spacing to Clear that I had missed.
I actually entered the music directly on two staves, rather than one and exploding. The misalignment occurred when I added the lyrics.
But, thanks!

Dann