Independent Cover Pages for Parts

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

SamGroude1
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by SamGroude1 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:58 pm

In order for the layout of page turns to work properly, I created a blank page at the beginning of the harp part and used the text tool to create a cover page which included the instrument name: "Harp". When I attempted to add a blank page at the beginning of the organ part, the blank page was created with the same text block, including the word "Harp". When I changed the word "Harp" to "Organ" (on the organ part), the harp part changed to "Organ" as well.

I was surprised that the text block was included with the blank page I created for another part, and that the pages were linked.

What's the correct way to create independent cover pages for parts?

Thanks!

Finale 26
Mac Mohave

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:01 pm

Workarounds are needed here. You can hide the text block independently in each part. So, hide the Harp text in the Organ part. Then create another text block for the Organ part and hide it in the Harp part. If your settings are to show hidden items (shaded), you'll see that, but it won't print.

Zuill

P.S.: After further thought, if it is just the part name, then you can use the Text Insert for Score/Part name and that should then give you what you want. No need for my arduous workaround. That would be needed for other unique text that is different for each part.
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

SamGroude1

Post by SamGroude1 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:57 pm

Thanks Zuill. Didn’t think of using the text insert for score/part name. I’ll give that a try. But do you know why the text block from my harp part blank page automatically reappeared on the blank page I created for the organ part? I wasn’t expecting that.

encephalon
Finale Version: 26.1

Post by encephalon » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:59 am

SamGroude1,

Ever since we've had linked parts it is important to properly manage all your global elements, especially text boxes.

All "global" elements entered in the score or any part will appear in the score and all parts. As Zuill said, you can individually hide them, but that's not the preferred way to do what you want. If you control/right-click the text box you can access various assignment options, including how and where the text box is attached. But that's still not the best way to do it.

Here's how I make cover sheets for individual parts:
1. Create a blank page on in your score.
2. Create a text block (or text blocks) that contain all the information you want e.g. title, composer, lyricist, copyright, part name.
3. Instead of manually typing these data, enter them into the "containers" in the Score Manage/File Info modeless window.
4. Use Text/Inserts in your text box(es). You can format the text directly in the text box. You can also edit the contents of each container directly from the text box, but I avoid that because the text cursor behavior is inconsistent in that feature.
5. Now each of your parts will have a cover page with the proper information. Delete the extra pages in parts that don't need them.

I always avoid creating global text boxes in parts. If you do that the positioning is not accurate related to the score, and as soon as you move it it becomes unlinked with the score and you'll have to manually adjust it in all your parts. Set your desired formatting in the score and all the parts will behave properly.
encephalon
San Francisco, CA
Finale 26.1
macOS Mojave

encephalon
Finale Version: 26.1

Post by encephalon » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:11 am

Here's a silly little file I created that demonstrates the concept.
encephalon
San Francisco, CA
Finale 26.1
macOS Mojave

SamGroude1

Post by SamGroude1 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:37 pm

Encephalon,
Many thanks for your help. That's exactly what I needed.
All the best,
Sam