Chords on Drum Set Wrong Transposition

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Nick Mazuk
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Nick Mazuk » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:43 am

Hi everyone,

I'm working on an arrangement right now, and the person wants me to write the chords on the drum set part. When I copy the chords into the set part, they become transposed up a whole step.

The part is the default drum set from the setup wizard. I double checked that there isn't a transposition in the score manager and I've tried copying the chords from both transposing and non-transposing instruments. All results are the same.
Nick

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:27 am

Since I don't get this behavior, I'll guess there is something in your file that is amiss. Can you post the file for our observation?

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Nick Mazuk

Post by Nick Mazuk » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:49 am

Here's a test file. I took the original file and then deleted everything that was irrelevant so there aren't any distractions.

After playing around a little bit, I found that the reason for a M2 shift was because I was in the key of Bb. The interval seems to be connected to the key. In C everything works fine, but all other keys make the chords transpose.
Nick

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:39 pm

The key of the piece doesn't seem to be the problem. I transposed to Eb (key signature tool), and the drum part still shows Ab.
At least, there is an easy fix : select the whole drum staff, Utilities -> Change -> Chords -> Transpose : major 2nd down.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Nick Mazuk

Post by Nick Mazuk » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:42 pm

Transposing the chords works. Thanks!

When I played with it, changing the key doesn't change chords already copied into the drum part. However, it does change the interval that any new chords are transposed by.
Nick

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:09 pm

That is the way it works:
Where the Notation Style is Percussion, the staff is “locked” in the key of C Major.
When you change the Key Signature, the Percussion staff stays in C Major.

By The Way:
Nick Mazuk,
You attached a Finale document (= Test.musx), but you did not attach the Percusssion MIDI Map used in your document.
And I do not have the Percussion MIDI Map used in your document.
I assume that you are using a special, custom Percussion MIDI Map.

Generally, when you send a Finale document to someone else, and your document uses a custom Percussion MIDI Map, you should also send the Percussion MIDI Map.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996