Drum Set Rhythm Cues

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

eric12183
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by eric12183 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:21 am

I am using Finale Version 25 for Mac

I have been searching all over for a solution to this problem, but can't seem to find a case that matches mine exactly. I followed instructions on how to create a staff style that will display slash notation, while also allowing for the creation of rhythm cues. I want the drum set part to play back, so that part is copied and pasted from earlier measures and uses layers 1 and 2. The cue notes would be placed in layer 4, following the instructions that I read. These instructions also said that the notes I want to play back can be written in layers 1, 2, and 3, however I am not seeing a way to hide the notes in layer 2 while still getting them to play back.

These are the instructions I followed: https://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/Fin ... m_notation

Attached is a screenshot of my issue. The staff style is applied beginning in measure 10. As you can see, the notes in layer 2 still appear. What do I need to do to fix this? Thanks in advance!
Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 3.15.30 AM.png

Christopher Smith
Finale Version: v.25.3

Post by Christopher Smith » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:53 pm

If you want cues to appear over slashes, you need to allow items in other layers to appear in the Staff Style. You seem to have done this.

But this allows items in Layer 2 (your bass drum) to appear as well. So the solution is to create a bar of drums where ALL the instruments are in Layer 1. Since most of the drum kit instruments are close to each other on a MIDI keyboard, this would consist of holding down chords instead of single notes. You would only have to do this for the measures that will be slash notation, because proper notation for a live drummer is in different layers, as you have done.
Finale 2014.5 and v.25 on Mac OS 10.12.6 (Sierra)

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:55 pm

As I see the question, cue notes will be in Layer 4, but you have hidden notes in Layers 1-3 that should play back but not be seen. It sounds like you chose the wrong Layer to show in the Staff Style. Change it from Layer 2 to layer 4. If my instruction is not clear, post the Finale file for us to examine and modify to show how to do it.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

eric12183
Finale Version: 25

Post by eric12183 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:00 pm

Christopher Smith wrote:If you want cues to appear over slashes, you need to allow items in other layers to appear in the Staff Style. You seem to have done this.

But this allows items in Layer 2 (your bass drum) to appear as well. So the solution is to create a bar of drums where ALL the instruments are in Layer 1. Since most of the drum kit instruments are close to each other on a MIDI keyboard, this would consist of holding down chords instead of single notes. You would only have to do this for the measures that will be slash notation, because proper notation for a live drummer is in different layers, as you have done.

Thank you! I don't even know why I didn't think to do this. Of course all the playback notes could be in the same layer, because they're not going to print on the page...bit of a facepalm moment for me haha.

Thanks again for the help!