Finale Forum Store | Buy Sheet Music

Cues problems again

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: miker, Peter Thomsen

Cues problems again

Postby Vaughan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:53 pm

Could someone explain how they get cues to work? It's such a kludge in Finale. I'm producing an edition of a trio for clarinet (B-flat), cello and piano. I make a cue of a piano passage for the other voices. I then apply a Blank Notation Layer 4 staff style to the score only and make sure that clefs are deselected. Of course, I have to hide the cue name in the score because the staff style doesn't hide it. The problem then is that in the cues, Finale's layer 1 rests collide with the notes so I need to shift these rests vertically. Unfortunately, that moves them in the score, as well, so the empty measures look strange. No matter what I do, I can't get both the score and the parts to look correct. The problem is made worse by the clarinet transposition, which causes the rests to sit differently in the score than in the parts.

How do others deal with this?
Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 26, Sibelius 4 - 7, Dorico 2.2
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Jari's plugins
MacOS 10.14.2
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2018) 16 GB

Amsterdam
Vaughan
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 2:50 pm
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Mac

Re: Cues problems again

by Sponsor

Forum Sponsor
 

Re: Cues problems again

Postby Vaughan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:28 pm

Another problem: one of the piano cues in the cello part requires a clef change which I don't want to see in the score. If I deselect show clefs in the staff style, it also suppresses the clef in the part when it goes over a system break. Why can't this be straightforward?
Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 26, Sibelius 4 - 7, Dorico 2.2
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Jari's plugins
MacOS 10.14.2
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2018) 16 GB

Amsterdam
Vaughan
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 2:50 pm
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Mac

Re: Cues problems again

Postby Harpsi » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:30 pm

I must confess that after struggling with exactly this sort of problems, I started using a separate score for the parts. There is simply no decent way around it IMO, using a parts score is the best way. So that's what I would recommend.
Finale 2014.5, Dorico 2.2
Windows 10
User avatar
Harpsi
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:36 pm
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Re: Cues problems again

Postby Vaughan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:58 am

I reached that conclusion, too. Grrrr!!! I can't believe that this so-called flagship program can't do something as basic and important as this. Finale users, would you like to eat your hearts out? Take a look at the way Dorico does cues. Absolutely brilliant, flexible, flawless and easy. And they're only on version 2.
Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 26, Sibelius 4 - 7, Dorico 2.2
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Jari's plugins
MacOS 10.14.2
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2018) 16 GB

Amsterdam
Vaughan
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 2:50 pm
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Mac

Re: Cues problems again

Postby Harpsi » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:45 am

Agreed.

I am actually finishing my last major project in Finale now, never thought that would happen.
It was a close call - I decided to finish the project in Finale, but looking back I wonder if it wouldn't have been more efficient after all to xml-transfer the whole 400+ pages 18th c. opera score and do it in Dorico.
Finale 2014.5, Dorico 2.2
Windows 10
User avatar
Harpsi
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:36 pm
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Re: Cues problems again

Postby Vaughan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:23 pm

I'm getting to that point, as well. I'm also working on an opera project: an arrangement of Donizetti's L'elisir d'amore for chamber orchestra. I've still entered the notes in Finale, mostly because I'm still quicker at it in Finale, because I prefer Speedy Entry's note-first-then-duration, because of Finale's metatools which are still the fastest way of entering expressions, and because Dorico doesn't yet have a function to enter a stream of lyrics in one go. There are, of course, some caveats when importing via XML. There are settings in the Finale file which help when exporting (like not having tempo expressions show on anything but the top staff) and Dorico's XML import settings are also important. There'll always be a few elements missing. I couldn't get XML to recognise arco and pizz., for example. I'm also having to alter how tuplets are displayed, but it's more than worth it. The spacing and layout are immediately excellent and consistent, something which takes ages to accomplish in Finale, I don't have to create one file for the score and one for the parts because Finale always screws up spacing and formatting between the two, the aforementioned cues, etc. etc.
Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 26, Sibelius 4 - 7, Dorico 2.2
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Jari's plugins
MacOS 10.14.2
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2018) 16 GB

Amsterdam
Vaughan
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 2:50 pm
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Mac



Similar topics


Return to General Finale Help

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


Music Engravers and Music Copyists
   Finale - Sibelius - Cakewalk - Archives - Finale Books - Contact


Copyright © 1994 - 2019 by C.M. Press, LLC