Rehearsal Numbers - different on score/parts

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

nikk
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by nikk » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:17 pm

Hello all...

Using Finale 26 on a MacBook Pro, running Mohave...

I've created rehearsal numbers enclosed by an ellipse...they look fine and centered on the score, but when I switch over to the parts, they are most definitely centered. I've already mucked about with every setting inside the Expression options, including the character settings, and the Enclosure Shape settings, and nothing I do centers the numbers on the parts (see attached).

Anyone ever run into anything like this? What step am I missing? Any help is appreciated!
+++
Nikk
OS 10.15.8 (Big Sur)/Finale 26.3.1

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:04 am

Are you using a "fixed" font size? That might be a problem.

You could make 2 different circled rehearsal marks–one for the score and one for the parts. Just use 2 different score lists. If you enter the part rehearsal mark in the score, you won't be able to see it unless you return to the part. If you tweak the positioning settings you might at least have a ballpark idea of where they're going in the parts.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:32 am

Is it relative to a barline or a beat?

I use the following settings to center rehearsal marks on the barline, and it works in score and parts. However, if it happens to fall on the first measure of a system, then it will be to the left of the clef. You either have to live with it or adjust those manually (with your large marks, the latter, I'm guessing).

Gareth Green
Finale Version: Finale 26.2

Post by Gareth Green » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:01 am

motet wrote:Is it relative to a barline or a beat?

I use the following settings to center rehearsal marks on the barline, and it works in score and parts. However, if it happens to fall on the first measure of a system, then it will be to the left of the clef. You either have to live with it or adjust those manually (with your large marks, the latter, I'm guessing).
I used to have this problem, but I got round it when I discovered the "After Clef/Key/Time/Repeat" setting for Horizontal Alignment. In a normal bar this results in the rehearsal mark being centred over the left barline, but if the mark falls on the first bar of a system it automatically re-positions after the clef. Saves me hours. The only issue is if the mark falls on a bar with a key/time change, but TBH I tend to leave it rather than manually move it back to the barline. I have no idea what "best practice" in this case should be.
Gareth J. Green
FIn26
Win10

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:20 pm

I believe the issue has to do with the centering of the number in the circle.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

motet

Post by motet » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:57 pm

Oops.

motet

Post by motet » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:03 pm

I tried it with both fixed and not-fixed point sizes and both fixed and non-fixed enclosure sizes and couldn't reproduce the problem.

motet

Post by motet » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:28 pm

Gareth Green wrote:I used to have this problem, but I got round it when I discovered the "After Clef/Key/Time/Repeat" setting for Horizontal Alignment. In a normal bar this results in the rehearsal mark being centred over the left barline, but if the mark falls on the first bar of a system it automatically re-positions after the clef. Saves me hours. The only issue is if the mark falls on a bar with a key/time change, but TBH I tend to leave it rather than manually move it back to the barline. I have no idea what "best practice" in this case should be.
Thanks for the suggestion. The problem with that for me is that I like to have the mark (with rectangular enclosure) sit close to the top of the staff--it seems more associated with the staff if staves are close together. But then it would collide with the key signature if at the beginning of a system. There's also the occasional case as shown below where it would collide with the tempo mark if higher. But maybe I should rethink this.