Score Manager problems

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Capricorn
Finale Version: Finale 25X
Operating System: Mac

Post by Capricorn » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:19 pm

I have Finale 25X on High Sierra and I've run into a problem I've spent hours trying to figure out but I only seem to get in deeper. I set up the score with Setup Wizzard using my synthesizer, an old Alesis Quadresynth. When I play through Audio Units or Garriton, it's fine, but if I try to use the synthesizer, the instruments that sound seem to be random. They don't match up the instruments on general midi. I've tried everything to try to find some kind of constant but I never know what instrument sound is going to come out. Perhaps the problem is that I used an old template for a previous work instead of starting new and there's some hidden formatting in which case, is there a way to use an old template and erase all the previous settings? Maybe my synth is too old although when I experiment by starting a new piece, my Quadresynth works as expected. I'll attach the section I'm working on and hopefully, someone can shed some light on this. Fortunately, it doesn't affect the way the file looks!
Thanks for any help you can offer!
Capricorn

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:39 pm

When we look at the file, we can't really know what will happen on your system. If you want to send the music to your synthesizer, you need to set that up in the MIDI setup window, not the Score manager. Also, to be certain that the correct patches will play on an external device, you can add those commands with the MIDI tool.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Capricorn

Post by Capricorn » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:54 pm

It's connected in the MIDI setup window and worked normally for a while but suddenly, the instrument sounds seem random. I assumed GM took care of matching the instrument sounds to the names of the instruments. For instance, I'll have it set for violin but an oboe sound comes out (if I'm lucky... a few minutes ago it was a cymbal and I have no idea why. I got it back to oboe somehow). I think I'd better finish this project and then try to figure it out. I have a feeling it's connected to using a previous score, deleting all the measures except the first on so I could add on to it. I think the settings were still there and are messing up the score I'm working on now. Next time I'll take the time to start fresh, I guess, and hope that solves the problem.
Capricorn

Capricorn

Post by Capricorn » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:10 pm

Hi Zuill,
I think the problem is fixed. Suddenly I lost sound altogether on my synthesizer when I tried to play it although I still had sound for playback. This synth has given me no end to problems for which I keep a journal since it's always taken hours to figure out how to fix them and I know they will come up again. So I went to my journal and did the steps I've discovered in the past to correct no sound and voila, the problem with Finale was fixed. It always seems when I write the forum, somehow things get solved. Maybe your suggestion that it was the connection to the synthesizer caused it to lose sound causing me to do the fix.