Broken measure-insertion function

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

GarryW
Finale Version: 2014.5 and 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by GarryW » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:48 pm

Hi -

I am afraid I am at wits' end, again. Unexpected things are happening when I insert measures.

If you're curious...

The attached file, WitsEnd.musx, is a simplified extract from my current big production file. It looks like this:

I then do "Insert Measure Stack" with a quantity of 2, at the beginning. The result looks like this:

Two blank measures in 1/4 time are duly inserted. AND, on my machine, the second bar of the downstream 4/4 time gets its time signature squashed over to 1/4. Which causes display distress, and notes flying off the right side of the screen. (Cropped in the view here.) The more measures I insert, the more downstream notes go flying off the of the end. (Why the inserted bars are in the key of A rather than G I have no idea. But that's not the problem I'm focusing on.)

For comparison, I created a fresh new Finale file that's identical in appearance. And I did the same operations. See the attached WitsNotAtAndEnd.musx. "Before" picture looks like:

I then do "Insert Measure Stack" with a quantity of 2, at the beginning. The result looks like this:

Which is perfectly reasonable.

The above example is not so terrible. The messed up measure can be fixed by hand. But what I actually need to do is 100 cut-and-insert measures, many times over. I get 100 bars of downstream chaos on each insertion.

Thank you for any assistance in preserving my sanity. A broken copy/insert function is not any fun.

Garry

(Running Finale 2014.5 on 32-bit Windows 7)

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:26 am

When you want to insert measures, highlight the measure stack after which the inserted measures will appear. Anotherwords, in your first pictured example, you'd highlight the 4/4 bar, then insert.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:53 am

That doesn't seem to help.

It's strange, all right. Also, the new measures are inserted with a different key signature (3 sharps). My guess would be that the file is corrupted. You might make a new file of the same length and copy your old one into it, if that's practical.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:58 am

I tried copying the bad file into a new file, and it gave it a key signature of three sharps and a time signature of 2/2, so you may be out of luck with that solution.

But exporting to XML and then importing works.

GarryW
Finale Version: 2014.5 and 26

Post by GarryW » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:04 am

All right, I did the "XML cure". It did work for me. At least, I think it did -- it appears that I can insert measures once again, and everything is back in the right places. The editing to do the cure took about five hours. (It's not a small file, and I use a lot of user-defined Expressions.)

I appreciate this list, and you all.

If anyone's interested, here are the items that vanished during a "round trip" to XML:

all the Staff Styles, and all of their placements
all the user-defined Expression Categories,
all the explicit Expression placements
all the Score Manager settings
all the recorded MIDI data
all the explicit courtesy key signatures
all the explicit courtesy time signatures
the choice of text chord symbol font

And here are other changes that happened:

all the empty measures had their time signatures changed to 2/2

(The tough one was the lost Expression categories and placements.)