Page Margins and instrument names

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Hector Pascal » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:51 am

Hi all,

Let's say that I set my page margins to be 2cm for the "inside" binding edge of the page and 1.5cm for the other "outside" edge, and then 1.5 for both top and bottom.

I notice that the page margin gets aligned with the systems and not the abbreviated instrument labels on the left of each page which get left outside the margin. I am wondering why this is so...? Wouldn't it be a good idea to align the margin with the left of the abbreviated instrument names, rather than the left of the systems.

Just curious..., because to my eye, when I set equal margins it has a somewhat unbalanced look because of the abbreviated instrument names.

Cheers,
HP.

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Hector Pascal » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:28 am

I think what I was trying to ask was:

Should I indent the left system margins so that the abbreviated instrument staff names and brackets are within the page margins? Finale doesn't do this by default.

Yours curiously,
HP.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:03 am

Good question. Maybe the eye would notice if the edge of the staff wasn't consistent from one page to the next, which might be the case if were aligned on the left edge of the print and you hide staves where not needed. I don't know. But it works how it works. I guess I would find the longest abbreviated staff name and add that length to the inner margin. You can do it graphically from the Page Layout tool.