2014.5 Text block appear in some parts but not others?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

kevinmathie
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by kevinmathie » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:18 am

Hi all!

What's the best way to make a page-attached text block appear in some parts but not others?

Here's what I want to do:

I create musical theater scores, and I'm trying to create a template to make life easier. In the top left-hand corner, there's the part (score, violin, piano, etc). Underneath that part, in a smaller font size and italics, I want to add the character names of the actors who sing in each song -- BUT I only want that information in the Score and the Piano-Vocal parts. I don't want that info cluttering up the other parts.

I suppose I could just toggle "show" on each part, or slide that text block off each part's page margins. But, I was hoping that there was a slick way to unlink the text block in certain parts, but keep it linked in other parts.

Thoughts?
Mac Mini (M2 Pro), Mac OSX Ventura (13.2.1), Finale 27.3

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Michel R E » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:34 am

make it a text expression (rather than a text block) set to a group that only prints with those parts.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:46 am

You can also have a text block assigned to a staff. In either that case or using Michel's expressions, you'd have to hide them in the score, though.

You might try putting a page-attached text block in the score (and thus all the parts), hiding it, then unlinking it from all the parts. It will be hidden everywhere. Then go to the parts where you want it to show. With the Text tool active, you should see the handle; right-click on it and show it.

kevinmathie
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by kevinmathie » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:04 am

Michel and Motet,

Both excellent suggestions. Thank you! I'll try them both and see which one works best for me.
Mac Mini (M2 Pro), Mac OSX Ventura (13.2.1), Finale 27.3

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:23 am

you don't necessarily need to hide them in the score... make the staff group you assign them to only appear in parts, and the parts you specifically need.

otherwise, it's really easy to hide something on a case-by-case basis in the score: select the handle and press alt+shift+ctrl+H
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:39 am

Michel R E wrote:… … …otherwise, it's really easy to hide something on a case-by-case basis in the score: select the handle and press alt+shift+ctrl+H
kevinmathie You've probably already worked this out, but on a Mac it's shift+option(alt)+command+H that you need to key to hide an expression.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6