OT: Performance Parts inside a Score

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Hector Pascal » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:06 am

Hi all,

Do you know of a good way to keep a score and parts together, from a publishing point of view?

I have never purchased a score with parts, for example a string quartet score with parts. Do publishers usually put the parts inside the middle of the score? Or do the parts usually come wrapped separately to the score and then tied together with the score?

For a score with parts, I imagine a slip-case would be good, whereby the slipcase could hold the score and also the parts... and the slipcase could have the title info etc on the spine.

Cheers,
Hector.

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Michel R E » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:09 am

almost all of the chamber music I've ever bought (trios and quartets) have had the score in a slightly larger format than the parts, and the parts slipped in either in the middle of the score, or just inside the cover.

as for orchestral parts, a full set of parts is generally too large to include within the same book binding as the score. (ie: space is cramped and it would deform the cover).
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.