"Save as" in wrong folder / directory

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

brent3544
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by brent3544 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:22 pm

Running Finale 26.0.1.655 on Win 7 OS.

How do I set Finale to automatically save a renamed file in the folder from which it was loaded? I want Finale to "save as" files in the same place as its most recent "load", not the place as its most recent save. When working on multiple projects, this is a pain. I know that I can change the directory path in the "save as" command header line, but that's unnecessarily complex and tedious.

EXAMPLE: I open a file with Finale from a specific directory/folder and work on it, saving it with an updated name. For example, I might "load" quintet_ver10 and later "save as" quintet_ver11. But when I "save as" the renamed file, it's saved in the directory where Finale made its previous save (which is generally different project), not the directory from which Finale loaded that file (the current project). When working on multiple projects at one time, files get put all over the place.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:29 pm

My experience is that the only time Save As goes to the folder from which the file is located is when you open the file by navigating to the folder in which it resides from within Finale. The times the Save As doesn't go to the proper folder is when you either open the file from the Recent list from within Finale, or open the file outside Finale (Finale opens when double-clicking the file).

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."