Favourite font for triplets/tuplets

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

David_
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by David_ » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:20 am

Hi,

I'd like to get an idea of what people find the best font (and size) for triplets and tuplets. Sometimes I find Finale's default (which I think is Times size 10) a little small and indistinct - in busy music it can sometimes get a little lost. Would just making it bolder and/or bigger do the trick?

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated!

David
Finale 27.3
macOS Monterey
TG Tools Pro
JW Plug-ins
Robert Patterson Plug-ins
Perfect Layout

Andreo Basisto
Finale Version: 2011
Operating System: Windows

Post by Andreo Basisto » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:58 am

Hello Dave,

I think it’s a question of experimenting and printing out several options to see which you like best. I still keep to Times New Roman, but just lately have set tuplet figures to 11 point, bold italic, and I also tick the fixed size box which avoids any inconsistencies with tuplets on cue notes. I now prefer flat brackets and also increase the bracket line thickness to 0.05cm.

Andreo Basisto

elbsound
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by elbsound » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:47 am

The Profondo font comes with a tuplet font called Profondo Tuplet Numbers ( https://github.com/OpenLilyPondFonts/pr ... tary-fonts ).

You could also browse this page with samples of many text fonts used in musical scores including tuplet numbers:
https://elbsound.studio/text-fonts-free ... rds3=3+5+7
text fonts sample.jpg

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:32 pm

Hello David,

For a while I have been experimenting with Maestro 15 as Tuplet Number font.
The number characters in Maestro are bolder (than the “Finale default tuplet number characters” from Times), and at the same time the Maestro numbers are both compact and readable.

Also, try Maestro 14, or Maestro 13.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996