Finale Forum Store | Buy Sheet Music

Font question

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: miker, Peter Thomsen

Font question

Postby Hector Pascal » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:40 am

Hi all,

I have the various Finale fonts installed on my computer, however when I try to use them in my layout program of choice (Scribus), they don't appear as available fonts and those that do appear in the font list fail to embed in my output.

The fonts that do work in Scribus appear to be TTF fonts. Is there a TTF font that has a crotchet in it that I can get from somewhere?

Thanks and cheers,
Hector.
Hector Pascal

Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Re: Font question

by Sponsor

Forum Sponsor

Postby N Grossingink » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:11 pm

Hector Pascal wrote:I have the various Finale fonts installed on my computer, however when I try to use them in my layout program of choice (Scribus), they don't appear as available fonts and those that do appear in the font list fail to embed in my output.

If you install both Postscript and True Type fonts when running the Finale installer, don't forget to deactivate one or the other for the Finale Fonts (use the Apple Font Book). Having duplicates active causes problems.

Have you tried Maestro Times? It is compatible with typesetting programs by not having those strange baselines. It's got many musical symbols–notes, beams, accidentals, etc.

N.
Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.12.6
Finale 2012c & 25.5

“Play the first movement so that flies drop dead in mid-air and the audience leaves the hall out of sheer boredom.”
Dimitri Shostakovich on his 15th Quartet
N Grossingink

Finale Version: 2012, 25.3

Postby Bill Stevens » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:47 pm

Hector,

On the Mac, if you go to Character Viewer (for me, American flag in the upper right corner of the screen) and select Show Emoji and Symbols, Musical Symbols at the bottom of the list should provide what you need.

::: Bill
Finale user since the beginning.
Bill Stevens

Finale Version: 26

Postby Hector Pascal » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:57 am

Thanks everyone for the excellent suggestions. The MaestroTimes font has done the trick! I was not familiar with this font until now. It is proving to be very useful!
Cheers and thanks again,
Hector.
Hector Pascal

Finale Version: Finale 26