Can't get seconds on same stem to align correctly

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:42 pm

In the attached piece, the very last measure (m. 38), b. 3, in the harp, I am unable to get the notes of the chord in the upper staff to line up correctly. I entered all of the notes on the lower staff, used cross staffing to move the chords in the right hand to the upper staff, used the reverse stem tool to get the stems on the correct sides of the notes (sort-of, which is the problem), and then used the beam angle tool to move the beams inbetween the two staves.

Alas, the A and Bb won't line up as they should: the A should be to the left of the stem, and the Bb should be to the immediate right of the stem; both notes are to the right of the stem, and the Bb is not vertically aligned with the D and F#, as it should be.

I tried re-entering things on the upper staff instead, but the result is the same. I keep fiddling with the handles for the reverse-stem tool, but nothing I do gets the notes to line up in the way that they should.

Can anyone help me figure this out?

Thanks,

Mark

OS 10.14.2
Finale 26

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:14 pm

I use Finale 25. I cleared all the mess created by trying to do this manually, and did the cross staff notation using the plugin, and all looks well. Try the plugin and see if that is what you want. In the old days, we didn't have the plugin, so doing it manually was the only way. Thank goodness for TGTools for the help in this area.

Zuill

P.S.: Is what is in this modified file closer to what you want? Because I am using Finale 25, some other things are not looking correct elsewhere in the file. Too bad v25 and v26 are not fully compatible. Any way, I only had to highlight the spot in the lower staff and use the plugin to do the cross-staff, and it fixed the erroneous settings. No need to clear those first.
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:50 pm

zuill wrote:I use Finale 25. I cleared all the mess created by trying to do this manually, and did the cross staff notation using the plugin, and all looks well. Try the plugin and see if that is what you want. In the old days, we didn't have the plugin, so doing it manually was the only way. Thank goodness for TGTools for the help in this area.

Zuill

P.S.: Is what is in this modified file closer to what you want? Because I am using Finale 25, some other things are not looking correct elsewhere in the file. Too bad v25 and v26 are not fully compatible. Any way, I only had to highlight the spot in the lower staff and use the plugin to do the cross-staff, and it fixed the erroneous settings. No need to clear those first.
Thanks, Zuill! And thanks for pointing out the plug-in for cross-staffing, which I was unaware.

Yes, what you came up with is exactly what I want. The only trouble is that I can't seem to do it on my own. When I try, instead of just the chords intended for the right hand (upper staff), I get ALL of the notes moved up to the upper staff. I've tried pretty much every possible set of settings, and they all end up moving all of the notes to the upper staff. Can you help me understand what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Mark

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:13 pm

With Windows, I use the Selection Tool to highlight the portion of the measure with just the notes to be moved. I then hold Shift and Alt and press the Up arrow. You'll have to find the keys to use for Mac.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:32 pm

zuill wrote:With Windows, I use the Selection Tool to highlight the portion of the measure with just the notes to be moved. I then hold Shift and Alt and press the Up arrow. You'll have to find the keys to use for Mac.

Zuill
Aha! It's clearly much easier with Windows to select just certain notes in a measure. But I was able to do it by going through the process twice, once for each chord that needed to be moved. Solved!

Many thanks,

Mark