External Sound Cards for iMac

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

eclipse4
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by eclipse4 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:10 pm

My favorite setup way back in the Windows 98 days was the current version of Finale at the time and a computer set up with a Western Digital Riptide Sound Card and a Soundblaster card. The former had the best sounding General Midi set and the latter allowed me to add sound fonts.

I am now using an iMac with Finale V25 and the Garritan libraries and want something better. I'd rather not mess with the internal working of the Mac (though the iFixit people help if that is necessary - I just restored my 2009 iMac to functionality and its better for Finale with its lower resolution screen). The Garritan for Finale doesn't come anywhere close to the sounds I once had.

Is there a good external sound card that folks could recommend or something that one can send Midi data to that would give me a great orchestral rendition for recording?

Thanks!
Casey Burns
Kingston WA

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by MikeHalloran » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:49 am

That’s not how Macs work.

You can get external units for audio in/out. They’re not going to make Garrittan sound any better. A monitor controller and decent pair of monitors. The 2009 Mac has excellent audio but you need to hear it. A monitor controller and decent pair of monitor speakers will give you the true sound of the instruments. Headphones will sound good plugged in.

You don’t say if you have an early 2009 (20” or 24”) or late 2009 (21.5” or 27”). Makes a big difference.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.4.1, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 14.5 (public beta); 2023 Studio M2 Ultra, 192G RAM, 8TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer4, Dorico 5, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro