Adding measures to a score

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jsmcwilliam
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by jsmcwilliam » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:39 pm

Finale 25
WINDOWS 10

I have spent considerable time formatting a score with 28 parts. Having completed the first page I want to add measures and create page two.When I add measures, however, I seem to loose my initial formatting on the new page. The staves are enlarged and the space between the staves reduced. I have done this before with a piano score. There were no problems then and adding measures could be done keeping my initial format. Why does this not work now.
It should perhaps be said that in this particular case the first page was not input manually but imported via an xml file. The score was then adjusted manually before attempting to add new measures.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:09 pm

New pages adopt the parameters of Document -> Page Format -> Score.
In the Page Layout tool, use Redefine pages -> All pages to apply these parameters to the whole score.
If needed, change the parameters and Redefine All Pages again.

(There is another way, via the Page Layout tool menu, where you can also redefine page margins, system margins, orientation, page size, reduction, and transfer the parameters to the Page Format -> Score window, as long as "Update Page Format for Score" is selected).
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:56 am

michelp wrote:… (There is another way, via the Page Layout tool menu, where you can also redefine page margins, system margins, orientation, page size, reduction, and transfer the parameters to the Page Format -> Score window, as long as "Update Page Format for Score" is selected).
To make Update Page Format for Score work on an existing layout (= transfer the layout settings to Page Format for Score) I usually open the margin dialog box on a document location where the settings are as needed.
Then I change one of the settings to something else (e. g. from zero to 1), and change it back (not via Undo!)
After that action the settings in Page Format for Score have been updated, and all new pages/systems will be created/formatted as needed.

Beware that "Update Page Format for Score" is a program specific option, not a document specific option.
When you have finished using "Update Page Format for Score", it is wise to turn it off - before you begin working on another document.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

jsmcwilliam
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by jsmcwilliam » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:38 pm

Thanks for the input. It solved my problem

John McWilliam