Format translation

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

coyita

Post by coyita » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:59 pm

Hello ! I would like to translate pieces which I have written with Finale 2005 into a format such a .zip in order to send them to someone who runs a PC (I am a Mac user). For the time being I have to scan the sheets and to send them as a PDF document, which is rather ackward. Can somebody help me ?

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:51 pm

coyita wrote:Hello ! I would like to translate pieces which I have written with Finale 2005 into a format such a .zip in order to send them to someone who runs a PC (I am a Mac user). For the time being I have to scan the sheets and to send them as a PDF document, which is rather ackward. Can somebody help me ?
.zip is a compression format which will give your partner the Finale file after it has been decompressed.
If you want to compress your Finale file on a Mac into that format, and if you use MacOs X, select the file, go to the File menu and select "create an archive" (or something similar, I use the French version).
For MacOs 9, utilities like Stuffit will do it.
Last edited by michelp on Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

coyita

Post by coyita » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:40 am

Thank you !

coyita

Post by coyita » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:16 pm

michelp wrote:
coyita wrote:Hello ! I would like to translate pieces which I have written with Finale 2005 into a format such a .zip in order to send them to someone who runs a PC (I am a Mac user). For the time being I have to scan the sheets and to send them as a PDF document, which is rather ackward. Can somebody help me ?
.zip is a compression format which will give your partner the Finale file after it has been decompressed.
If you want to compress your Finale file on a Mac into that format, and if you use MacOs X, select the file, go to the File menu and select "create an archive" (or something similar, I use the French version).
For MacOs 9, utilities like Stuffit will do it.
I have tried this but the problem is that the person to whom I sent the reduced copy cannot read it because he doesnot possess Finale. What I need is to translate it into a format which would, after decompression, result to be readable by somebody who do not have Finale and who runs a PC : is this possible :?:

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:27 pm

coyita wrote:...but the problem is that the person to whom I sent the reduced copy cannot read it because he does not possess Finale. What I need is to translate it into a format which would, after decompression, result to be readable by somebody who do not have Finale and who runs a PC : is this possible :?:
Pdf files.
Easy to create in MacOs X. In the print dialog box, you can choose to create a pdf file. But of course, the person will open the file, will be able to see your music but won't be able to hear it nor modify it unless he or she gets one of the programs of the Finale family. Notepad 2006 is free and exists for Mac and PC.
See http://www.finalemusic.com/notepad/.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua