Workarounds for lyrics that need line breaks

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bruce59
Finale Version: Finale v25.5.0.290
Operating System: Windows

Post by bruce59 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:03 pm

Question: Is there any way to include newlines ("line breaks") in lyrics? I ask because I set a lot of psalms, and many longer phrases requires this. Specifically, the music notation begins each phrase with a double whole note, and a variable number of syllables are included beneath it for lyrics, depending on the psalm phrase being set -- it's when the phrase includes many words that the need for line breaks arises. (The final three syllables of the phrase are set separately, one syllable per note, and are not at issue here.)

While including multiple syllables on one note when entering lyrics is, in itself, easy (just use Ctrl-Space between words), including a line break does not appear to be possible. While I understand why this would be technically difficult for Finale to handle, workarounds for this are really problematic.

Workaround #1: Create and assign an Expression for each long phrase. Once done, you still have to adjust the measure width by adjusting the measure's handle using the Measure Tool. However, I **cannot** find a way to lock the measure width, and Finale continually readjusts the measure widths in the file.

Workaround #2: Create a textbox for each long phrase. This has the distinct disadvantage of being fixed to a specific location on a page, and so must be adjusted every time the staves move (which could be often). Not recommended.

Any other possible workarounds for this problem?

Thanks!

Bruce
[Using Finale version 25.5.0.290 on Windows]

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:50 pm

I've probably got it wrong, but enter your double whole note and enter your lyrics up to the point of the line break. Go to the next system and enter another double whole to contain the rest of the lyrics (stay with me). Enter the rest of the lyrics. You can hide this second double whole by applying a "Blank Notation" staff style set to affect Layer 1 (the second double whole). Does this work for you?

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

bruce59
Finale Version: Finale v25.5.0.290
Operating System: Windows

Post by bruce59 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:04 pm

Thanks. Yes, that does work, but some experimentation has shown that turning off Edit > Preferences > Automatic Music Spacing seems to be solving the issue I described of measure widths changing when using Expressions that contain multiple lines (thanks to Anders Hedelin for mentioning this feature in an unrelated post to this forum earlier today). I can get the results I want a bit faster than I can when using Blank Notation staffs.

Thanks to all for helping!

Bruce

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:30 pm

The advantage of the way I suggested is that you're actually entering lyrics—if you have avoid collisions of lyrics checked in the spacing options, the measure will always expand to accommodate them, and will be impervious to any music spacing. Plus you wouldn't have to mess around with expressions or text boxes. In the end, it's the way you're most comfortable with.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3