Using notehead position tool

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

phrederica
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by phrederica » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:18 pm

Sometimes you really need that notehead position tool, but often I can't make it work. I click everywhere and can't get the little positioning boxes to appear. When the notehead position tool is selected, the curser is shaped like a square target thing and doesn't change, no matter where I hover. I can make the other tools in the set work, such as the beam angle tool, just not the notehead position tool. It seems like you need to magically know where to click for each of these tools, and it varies depending on the tool chosen from this toolbox.

I know I can mostly do the job with the speedy entry tool, but I need to move a grace note, and speedy won't let me change the position of the grace note. When I move it, speedy just puts it back when I click elsewhere.

1. Where are you supposed to click to make this tool work?
2. Does anybody else have this problem?

Thanks to all of you who tirelessly answer all these questions!

Finale 25

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:23 pm

It sounds like you need the Note Position Tool, not the Notehead Position Tool.

Anyway, in Music Spacing Options, you can select Manual Positioning to be incorporated into music spacing. You also have options as to how Grace Notes are treated in music spacing. Have you tried changing those settings? I believe the "Keep Current" option for Grace Note positioning is what you want.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:22 pm

Additionally, click within the measure with the Note Position Tool–the handles will appear floating above the measure. Make sure you're in the same layer as the notes you want to move.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

phrederica

Post by phrederica » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:41 pm

Thank you, Zuill, for the workaround! That worked fine.

However, I would still like to make the note position (yes, not notehead) tool work. I need it for some weird projects. I have tried rebooting the computer.

Clicking on the note does not work. Clicking on the note stem does not work. Clicking all over the measure does not work. The little boxes do not appear.

I don't know how to show anyone that it doesn't work except with a video. So I made a video of me clicking all over the place, unable to make note position work, and then easily making notehead position work. Unfortunately, I am not allowed to post links (got an error). Search at youtube for "finale note position will not work".

Thanks,

Sheryl FInale 25

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:05 pm

Sheryl, the restriction on posting attachments is because you are a new user. After you have a few more posts, you will be able to do so.

Make sure you are in the same layer as the notes you want to move. That's the only "gotcha" that I've ever come across.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

phrederica

Post by phrederica » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:13 pm

I only have one layer.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:40 pm

As I answered a while ago, click within the measure and make sure you are in the same layer as the notes you want to move.

This is such a simple process that I suspect there is more at play here. I'd check and if necessary renew the Preferences file. See here:
https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... inale-etc-

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

phrederica

Post by phrederica » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:20 pm

Thank you, N! :D :D :D :D :D :D

I went to my boyfriend's house, and his Finale (same version, 25) worked fine. Now I could see how it was supposed to work, and understand mine was defective. I uninstalled and reinstalled Finale, and that didn't help. Then I saw your link about deleting preferences. Voila! Sooooo much better.

Thanks so much!