printing unwanted characters

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

prairiecreek
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by prairiecreek » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:43 pm

The finale engraver font is displaying unwanted question marks -?- enclosed in a rounded rectangle in pdf documents. This only takes place while using the Engraver font. When using the Maestro font, the pdf documents look fine, but I have to reposition too many elements in the score, like spacing, etc. How can I get the Engraver font to create correct PDF documents? I never had this problem in previous versions of Finale on the Mac.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:07 pm

To give the best possible help we need more info.

1) Your forum Profile reveals that you are using Finale v25 in Mac OS. What version of Mac OS?

2) What method are you using to create PDFs from Finale documents?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:51 am

There are 2 ways to make a PDF of a Finale file. Through Finale itself (the Graphics Tool) or through the Mac OS print dialog (hit the Save as PDF button). Have you tried both?

If you just switched to the Engraver font and encountered the problem it may be that the font cache is messed up. Usually shutting down and restarting the computer solves this.

You seem to hint that you switched from Maestro to Engraver because of spacing problems with Maestro. Really, the two fonts are so similar there should be little or no difference in spacing. There might be something else at play. Did you manually respace the music (select all and press 4 to run music spacing)? If the systems are locked, there may be too much material on some systems that causes crowding. Unlock the systems and respace.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3