Artificial beams as shape-expressions — instability

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

michael graubart

Post by michael graubart » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:12 pm

I have Finale 26 on a Mac with MacOS 10.14.4.

I am typesetting an old score of mine that was notated in the original MS with a great deal of beaming across barlines. For reasons to do with redundant accidentals, not all such cases could be dealt with by means of the Patterson plug-in, so I have had in numerous places to substitute the tail of the last eighth in one measure by a simple vertical line in Special Tools, and then make a shape expression in the form of a horizontal line of the same thickness as normal beams, attach it to that last eighth and extend it to meet the beams of eighths in the next measure. In some cases this thick line has had to be angled and the beam in the second measure similarly angled in Special Tools, the actual slope varying from one place in the score to another.

This works well while it is being done, but now I have found that after saving my work, shutting Finale down and at a later time reopening my file, these expression-created beams have changed their lengths and/or angles and have to be readjusted — only to change again the next time I have finished work, closed everything and later on reopened the file.

I do not fully understand whether, and how, changing the position, length and angle of an expression-created line in one place in a score affects the same line in another place. Above all, how can I prevent this instability, these changes of length and position after closing and reopening, from happening so that I can end up with a stable score?
Michael Graubart.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:20 pm

To avoid the issue of changing one instance affecting all others, you need to create a metatool for the expression, then enter it in the score via the metatool. This gives independent control. Unfortunately, it also adds a new shape to the shape library each time you apply it, so you might end up with hundreds of them in there. Don't delete them, or you'll lose your work in the score.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:29 pm

I wonder if it's possible to solve whatever problem you're having with the Patterson plug-in. It's possible to add or hide accidentals (even if they should be there in the latter case). If you want to explore that, perhaps someone here could help.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:23 pm

Another thing to consider–

When you make a new Shape Expression, the option "Allow Horizontal Stretching" is checked "On" by default. In this and most cases, it probably should be unchecked.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:36 pm

I would think you'd want it on, in case notes move left or right due to respacing.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:55 pm

motet wrote:I would think you'd want it on, in case notes move left or right due to respacing.
I wouldn't have it on. The thing to do is probably to wait until the layout is fixed and spaced before adjusting the false beams. But it appears that Zuill's suggestion is right on–use a Metatool for the false beams so each one's adjustments is independent of the others.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3