Moving one note from a chord to its adjacent staff

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

wonder
Finale Version: v26
Operating System: Mac

Post by wonder » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:35 pm

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 5.30.00 AM.png
I've imported a midi file and the split staff needs some editing.

I'm working on a laptop (not a FULL sized numerical keyboard).

I've looked up how to move whole measure or even single note passages to upper or lower staves. According do Finale Blog, using SHIFT+OPTION+(up or down arrow key) moves the note(s) to the upper or lower adjacent staff. Using those keystrokes on my MacBook doesn't do that. It will just highlife the staff above or below.

If I highlight the measure I want to paste into an adjacent measure, I simply press OPTION + (up or down arrow key), it will then move that measures' entries into the adjacent staff.

My question is, if there's one single note in a chord that I simply want to throw into the staff below or above in a grand staff because it should be played with the player's other hand, how would I do that?

In the photo, I've highlighted the D natural that I, let's say, want to move to the Treble clef staff above it. No matter what keystrokes I try, it won't simply move that note to the above staff.

Is this even possible? Very often imported midi files don't have a great split point. How do I simply highlight a note or group of notes from a chord in the "wrong" staff and move them to the adjacent staff?
Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 5.30.00 AM.png
Finale v26, Digital Performer 9, ProTools 12. Mac.

mmike
Finale Version: 27.4
Operating System: Windows

Post by mmike » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:50 pm

Tools > Advanced Tools > Note Mover - there are various options to move, copy, merge one or several notes from one staff to another.
You can also use Plug-ins > TG Tools > Cross Staff, with a number of options regarding split points etc
Finale 3.7 > 27.4.1, GPO5, ASUS laptop, 18.4'' display, Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, WIN 10 Pro, Cubase

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:51 pm

mmike is correct. Due to my own incompetence, I've never been able to figure out the plug-in, so I do it the long way:

Select the Note Mover Tool.
In the Note Mover menu, select Cross Staff, and click in the measure.
Each note will get a handle.
Grab the handle of the note you want to move, drag to the upper staff, and release. You don't need to drag to anywhere specific; just to the upper staff.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:32 pm

I don't think Wonder wants to cross staff the notes. Rather, he wants to move them to the treble staff and delete the source notes. You can do that with the Note Mover as pictured below.

Due to the fact that there are differing numbers of notes to be moved, I'm not sure there is a faster way via one of the plugins. It's a slow chord by chord process. Maybe the software that produced the midi file can be made to distribute the notes in a more normal manner.

N.
Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 10.17.56 AM.jpg
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:48 pm

miker wrote:Due to my own incompetence, I've never been able to figure out the plug-in, so I do it the long way...
As N says, the plug-in is of no help for this, I don't think. There is a "split point" setting, but it doesn't seem to break chords apart. (There doesn't seem to be any documentation, though, so perhaps there is a way.)

The plug-in and associated hotkeys are useful for beamed cross-staff notes with beams between the staves, since it takes care of moving the beams and reversing the stems.

wonder

Post by wonder » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:35 pm

N Grossingink wrote:I don't think Wonder wants to cross staff the notes. Rather, he wants to move them to the treble staff and delete the source notes. You can do that with the Note Mover as pictured below.

Due to the fact that there are differing numbers of notes to be moved, I'm not sure there is a faster way via one of the plugins. It's a slow chord by chord process. Maybe the software that produced the midi file can be made to distribute the notes in a more normal manner.

N.
Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 10.17.56 AM.jpg

I think this is what I was looking for. A quick drag is with "DELETE AFTER MERGE" is doing the trick. I haven't found a shortcut for it but dragging the notes up/down is doing what I was looking for.
:wink:

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:56 pm

Actually, I found a better way. There is a plugin called "Split Point" in the "Scoring and Arranging" plugin folder. You can use this to split your example if you set the split point to "G3". It does it all in one go. Since most pianists can read chords where the bottom note is E in treble clef, you could set it to "E3" as the default.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

wonder

Post by wonder » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:06 am

N Grossingink wrote:Actually, I found a better way. There is a plugin called "Split Point" in the "Scoring and Arranging" plugin folder. You can use this to split your example if you set the split point to "G3". It does it all in one go. Since most pianists can read chords where the bottom note is E in treble clef, you could set it to "E3" as the default.

N.
That’s a good solution. Although the way I played it in the midi file, the way DP split out the staves, that solution isn’t a one trick pony. So I’m using the Split Point and Note Mover and although a little cumbersome, it’s working. :)