Staff styles for different layers

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

kullboys
Operating System: Windows

Post by kullboys » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:19 am

I'm running Finale 25.0.259 for Mac. In the example below, on Layer 1 (the black notes) I have a melody I want in standard notation, but on Layer 2 (in red) I have some kicks for chord changes I want written out in rhythmic notation. If I have the second layer selected and I change the staff style to Rhythmic Notation, it changes the style for layer 1 as well. I don't want kicks over time (i.e. slashes plus the specific rhythm above the staff). Can I keep the notated melody in layer 1, add some rhythmic kicks on top with chords, and have both notations showing?
Thanks.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:38 am

The "Rhythmic Notation" is set by default to apply to Layer 1, so it is normal that the notes in Layer 1 disappear.
You can Edit the staff style (Staff menu) or create a new one and change the Layer via the Alternate Notation button. There is also a checkbox to change the direction of the stems.

But by default the Rhythmic Notation will be big and centered in the middle of the staff. You can change the height, but it might be better to investigate other ways to write accents on top of the staff. The topic has been raised in this forum.
For instance, place the accents in another layer above the staff, and change their notesize and notehead, mute that layer and hide ledger lines, if there are any (Utilities -> Change can change noteheads, note size, and plug-ins can hide ledger lines, but all these actions can easily bedone in a few steps via the JW Change plug-in).
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua