Need help with reverse stem in Bach' stile

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

marcellobon
Finale Version: Finale V25
Operating System: Mac

Post by marcellobon » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:39 am

Hallo all,
I need to transcribe some J.S.Bach's music and I wish to maintain his "reverse stem style" in which stems always remain on the lower side if notes are placed over the 3rd line of the staff, and on the upper side if notes are below the 3rd line, even if this causes a cross-beaming, as in the picture i attach.

Bach.jpeg
Is there a way in Finale(v25) to set document options to automatically obtain this beaming, without using the Reverse Stem Tool in Special Tools, note by note?
(the following example is made with reverse stem tool)
bachEs2.jpeg
Thank you in advance

Marcello Bonanno
Finale v25
MacOs 10.13.6

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:14 am

marcellobon wrote:… in which stems always remain on the lower side if notes are placed over the 3rd line of the staff, and on the upper side if notes are below the 3rd line, even if this causes a cross-beaming …
You probably mean “beams”, not “stems”.

I do not know of an “automatic” (Document Option) solution to obtain this space-saving layout, sorry.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

HaraldS
Finale Version: 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by HaraldS » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:20 am

marcellobon wrote:Is there a way in Finale(v25) to set document options to automatically obtain this beaming, without using the Reverse Stem Tool in Special Tools, note by note? (the following example is made with reverse stem tool)
I'm pretty sure there is no built-in automatic way to achieve that. But I'm also pretty sure it can be achieved by the help of keyboard macros (on Windows, that would be Autohotkey e.g.), FinaleScript and/or JWLua.

If you have only some occurences of these beams, it would be faster to do some by hand and copy the beam settings to all other places. Every other solution would mean learning the appropriate tools.

Harald
Finale 3.0-25.5, German edition, Windows 7
trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany