CC64 to Pedal Expressions

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

HaraldS
Finale Version: 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by HaraldS » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:08 pm

I would like to present to you a JWLua script which I wrote. It searches for MIDI CC64 events, which have e.g. been recorded with a sustain pedal in a DAW, and inserts real pedal expressions in a piano staff. It can also delete the original markings, thus replacing the recorded events with the common pedal markings.

It's not a FinaleScript, nor a Autohotkey script, nor a compiled plug-in. It's a JWLua script and you're invited to read this page if you're not familiar with these scripts.

Finale comes with some pre-defined articulations for pedal markings, but these are unsuitable, as they don't send CC64 events. Only expressions can do that (which also have more placement options). So I added a button for creating pedal expressions, which will only work once per document, in case you don't have your own.

Jari Williamson obviously wrote a similar plug-in some years ago named JWPedal, but it's not longer available, at least not for current Finale versions.

Thanks to all the extremely helpful guys on the JWLua mailing list, namely Bart Visser, whose code I used partially. If you find any misbehaving of this script, please give me a hint.
Attachments
CC64 to Pedal Expressions.zip
(2.31 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Last edited by HaraldS on Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finale 3.0-25.5, German edition, Windows 7
trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany

wonder
Finale Version: v26
Operating System: Mac

Post by wonder » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:38 am

HaraldS wrote:I would like to present to you a JWLua script which I wrote. It searches for MIDI CC64 events, which have e.g. been recorded with a sustain pedal in a DAW, and inserts real pedal expressions in a piano staff. It can also delete the original markings, thus replacing the recorded events with the common pedal markings.

It's not a FinaleScript, nor a Autohotkey script, nor a compiled plug-in. It's a JWLua script and you're invited to read this page if you're not familiar with these scripts.

Finale comes with some pre-defined articulations for pedal markings, but these are unsuitable, as they don't send CC64 events. Only expressions can do that (which also have more placement options). So I added a button for creating pedal expressions, which will only work once per document, in case you don't have your own.

Jari Williamson obviously wrote a similar plug-in some years ago named JWPedal, but it's not longer available, at least not for current Finale versions.

Thanks to all the extremely helpful guys on the JWLua mailing list, namely Bart Visser, whose code I used partially. If you find any misbehaving of this script, please give me a hint.
:D :D :D :D :D
Finale v26, Digital Performer 9, ProTools 12. Mac.