Is it possible to achieve Penderecki-like notation on Finale

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Sickhorse131
Operating System: Windows

Post by Sickhorse131 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:41 pm

Finale version No. 25.4.1.152
Windows

Hey everyone.
Does anyone knows if there is a chance I could compose on Finale, while on the bottom of its page there is time in seconds? I wasn't sure how to phrase the question so I incorporated a video example on how exactly I wish it to be.

(I am sorry for the trouble, but I am not allowed to post URLs yet because I am a new member. If it's not too much trouble, here is what you have to write on youtube to find the video : Penderecki - Threnody (Animated Score))

I don't care about general notation or playback, just the time-seconds aspect on the bottom of the page.

Thanks in advance.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:30 pm

The so called “time in seconds” (in “Threnody”) seems to work like a time signature.

Idea:

Every time you are in the dialog box Time Signature, always set the Beat Duration to the same rhythmical value (e. g. a Quarter).
This means that each measure will have time signature with a Quarter as “denominator” - like 15/4, 11/4, 4/4, 6/4, 13/4 &c.

Set the playback tempo to 60 for this rhythmical value (e. g. Quarter = 60).

Then, a 15/4 measure will last 15 seconds, and a 13/4 measure will last 13 seconds.

In the Document Options - Time Signatures, move the Bottom Symbol way down below the bottom of the page.
In that way the Bottom Symbol will not print, so that e. g. 15/4 will display as 15.

In the Document Options - Time Signatures, you can customize the Vertical Adjustment of the Top Symbol.

In the Document Options - Fonts, you can choose a font for the “time signatures”.

Add the symbol ” with the Expression Tool.
The Time Signature Tool does not seems to have the option of adding a suffix to a time signature, hence the Expression Tool.

Then, 15/4 will display as 15”.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996