Acoustic Guitar Sustain

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Deacon Don
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Deacon Don » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:03 pm

I'm writing an acoustic guitar part. It's broken chord picking and I'd like for the notes
to sustain instead of playing each not separately.

How is this done?
Finale 26.3.1
JABB
Windows 10

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:46 pm

I'm lacking expert advice too, but I would try the Pedal and Pedal Up articulations (Ped. and *). These are meant for piano, but the idea is the same–getting a sustain and toggling it off. You can hide them so they don't print out. Human playback should add these effects. May be worth a try.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Deacon Don
Finale Version: 27

Post by Deacon Don » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:56 am

N Grossingink wrote:I'm lacking expert advice too, but I would try the Pedal and Pedal Up articulations (Ped. and *). These are meant for piano, but the idea is the same–getting a sustain and toggling it off. You can hide them so they don't print out. Human playback should add these effects. May be worth a try.

N.
An excellent suggestion. I'm going to try that!
Finale 26.3.1
JABB
Windows 10

TonyEastwood
Finale Version: 27.0.0708

Post by TonyEastwood » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:35 pm

Does this work? Can pedal markings do sustain on the guitar while the "pedal is down".

I've tried it, but for me it seems to very little or zero effect. (If I write for piano it does work.) Am I missing some secret, is there low set up I can do?

I'd really like to get this to work as I need my composition tutor to hear what guitar music should sound like without taking a physical guitar to every tutorial (for me 120 miles :( )

One of the biggest failures in artificial playback for guitar (even with NotePlayer) is that the system plays one note after another - as though everything is only on one string, arpeggios sound quite ludicrous. :shock:

I would actually want to print (most of my) pedal markings. Contrary to popular belief classical guitarists don't leave every single string to ring on forever - damping the vibration of the strings is a really important part of playing accurately.
compostions at https://guitarcompositions.wordpress.com/

mmike
Finale Version: 27.4

Post by mmike » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:35 pm

Here's an example that seems to work just fine, using the Finale Classical Guitar Template, with the Pedal and Pedal Up articulations (Ped. and *). Human Playback is set to Standard.
Attachments
guitar sustain.musx
(117.54 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Finale 3.7 > 27.4.1, GPO5, ASUS laptop, 18.4'' display, Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, WIN 10 Pro, Cubase

TonyEastwood
Finale Version: 27.0.0708

Post by TonyEastwood » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:29 pm

Mike

Your example works absolutely perfectly. Thank you so much for your help.

All the references I'd previously seen suggested using the line tool to express pedals- but for guitar that doesn't seem to work. However, your example uses the articulation tool - and not only does your example work but the articulation tool works for me too. :D

The only slight complexity in using the articulation tool is that it is applied per layer. So where I have several layers in use (typically to emphasise a melody within a set of arpeggios) I find I have to add the pedal markings to each active layer .

For piano music the line tool method does work. Any comments?
compostions at https://guitarcompositions.wordpress.com/