Text cursor blinking behavior different on Finale for Mac

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

LutherMusic
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by LutherMusic » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:16 pm

The default behavior for the text typing cursor on PC and every other program on Mac is to show the cursor line while typing or moving the cursor with the arrow keys, and then start blinking it shortly after. On my Mac running Finale 25, High Sierra, using the Text tool, the behavior is reversed: it hides the cursor while typing or moving it with the arrow keys, and then starts blinking it shortly after. This is frustrating when attempting to quickly change a comma here or fix a letter there, because you cannot track an invisible cursor as you use the arrow keys without pausing frequently to wait for it to blink. (Interestingly, the behavior is also normal in the Lyrics Window). Every other program works as I'd expect (including Finale 25 on Windows). Anyone else experience this or solve it?

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:56 pm

I tested Finale 2012, 25 and 26 on Mac and the cursor is visible at all times when using the arrow keys. There might be something that's up with your system that is preventing this.

I'd try 2 things:

√ Make a new user account, log into that and check the behavior.
√ Check the preferences and reset them if necessary:
https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... inale-etc-

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

LutherMusic
Finale Version: 25

Post by LutherMusic » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:34 pm

Interesting... thanks for checking! Are you still using Sierra? (I'm on High Sierra, and I actually have two Macs that exhibit the save behavior.) No luck trying those.

Also interesting, I do still have Finale 2012 and 2014 on the machine, and neither of those have the issue.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:55 pm

The Text tool is a horrible thing--it doesn't surprise me that there are quirks. In my version, if you double-click to start a new text box, then go to the Text menu and change the font, the cursor disappears.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:15 pm

LutherMusic wrote:Are you still using Sierra?
Yes. My Finale setup works perfectly and I'm not going to update the OS until I have to, which could be several years.

Did you try the troubleshooting steps I suggested? If you have 2 computers with the same keyboard and mouse, maybe try to swap out the keyboard and mouse for a different make altogether, to see if that makes any difference. Is your OS updated to the latest version? Is your Finale 25 also updated? Maybe contact Finale Tech Support to see if they can help.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:04 am

I have F 25 on High Sierra and don't experience the behaviour described.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

wessmusic
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by wessmusic » Sun May 26, 2019 1:47 pm

Mac, Mojave, 10.14.4, Finale 26.1
EXPRESSION tool - typing/editing in Text window

I found that the cursor is not visible when selecting an expression by pressing [Alt+Shift+Enter] for direct editing (for example missing letter, comma etc.). The same issue remains if the whole sequence is done: double click (or Enter) -> [Edit button] -> editing text.
To solve this I must press "Tab" button 15 times! or to place the mouse and click inside the text window, instead of correcting/typing.
Keyboard Maestro helps again (I created shortcut that includes all these 15 Tabs), but should it be like that?

In some of the previous versions in order to keep the focus on active window MM suggested using "displays have separate Spaces" from "Mission control" as a part of System preferences.
This time this does not help at all.
_________
Here is another strange cursor behaviour this time in TEXT tool.
If I need to enlarge the frame to position the text applying [Justification] -> [Forced Full] one of the grab cursors ↕︎, ⤡, ⤢ or ⟷ suddenly disappears while dragging the side or the edge of the frame (left/rightwards etc). This happen while positioning the cursor over the frame and pressing the MOUSE button.

Deleting the Finale preferences does not make any difference.
CUSTOM FONTS for FINALE and SIBELIUS
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f0udkrvb8xvh2zj/AAD_8mVlRzzr5mjZKI7BR7Kza?dl=0
________
Finale user since 1994