Cross staff/reverse stem beam extension woes

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Jay Emmes
Finale Version: 25.4.1.164
Operating System: Mac

Post by Jay Emmes » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:52 am

For some obscure reason Finale haphazardly decides to extend the upper beam in cross staff and reversed stem figures at one time, but the lower beam at other times. Why does Finale do that? More importantly: how can I convince Finale that extending the lower beam never ever makes any sense whatsoever, at all, ever?
Running Finale 25.4.1.163 in OS X 10.11.6

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:00 am

Jay Emmes,

I suggest that you attach (a short excerpt from) the Finale document from which your attached graphic was made.

If we can examine the Finale document with the actual beaming, then we might be able to explain, what is going on, and perhaps also suggest alternate solutions.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Jay Emmes

Post by Jay Emmes » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:01 am

There is no need to attach a Finale file. The parameters of both figures are exactly the same. The only difference — and apparently the culprit — is the cross staff G (second 32nd note of the figure in the upper half of the image).

When a figure consists of only one cross staff moment (lower figure in the image), Finale will beam correctly with the upper beam (largest note value) as the beam shared by all notes and break all other beams where desired. If, however, there are more than one cross staff moments in a figure (upper figure in the image), then Finale will use the beam of the smallest note value as the shared one and break all other beams.

This makes no sense whatsoever. The beam shared by all notes in a figure is the beam of the largest note value (8th), not of the smallest one. What Finale does is incorrect and terribly ugly.

I do have a solution to make a relatively simple figure look graphically correct, but I hate the fact that, again, I have to put a lot of effort into correcting Finale where this should not be necessary. All too often, Finale is a tool that works against me instead of helping me to get the job done.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:24 pm

Jay Emmes wrote:There is no need to attach a Finale file …
Actually there is need - since I am unable to duplicate your problem.

See the attached graphics, and the attached Finale document.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Jay Emmes

Post by Jay Emmes » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:53 pm

Thanks for your help. I have sent a PM with a sample document.