Default vertical position of chord symbols

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

sPretzel
Finale Version: Finale 2007
Operating System: Windows

Post by sPretzel » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:32 am

Hi,

What is the default vertical position of chord symbols? I can't find where this information is defined. What I would like to see is how the default vertical position of the chord symbol is defined (with respect to what: top staff line, bottom staff line, etc.?), what that value is (in numbers), and where I can find this information (menu, manual, etc.).

This is for F2007.

Thanks.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:42 am

sPretzel wrote:What is the default vertical position of chord symbols? I can't find where this information is defined.
The default position, in inches, is .5" above the middle staff line. This is not defined in writing anywhere that I can find. To test this yourself, click on the leftmost chord baseline positioning handle and look at the message bar–it should read total offset .5". Drag the triangle down so the baseline is even with the middle staff line and it should read total offset 0".

Here is an article with information about chord positioning using the chord tool:
https://www.finalemusic.com/blog/chord- ... alignment/

Incidentally, the lyric tool has the same .5" offset, only measured from below the middle staff line.

N.
Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 6.14.58 AM.jpg
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

sPretzel
Finale Version: Finale 2007
Operating System: Windows

Post by sPretzel » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:40 pm

N Grossingink wrote:
sPretzel wrote:What is the default vertical position of chord symbols? I can't find where this information is defined.
The default position, in inches, is .5" above the middle staff line. This is not defined in writing anywhere that I can find.
Hi Grossingink. I ended up figuring it out (144 EVPU). You are very right. Thanks.