Chord symbol size

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

sPretzel
Finale Version: Finale 2007
Operating System: Windows

Post by sPretzel » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:27 pm

Hi,

I have a few questions and issues with chord symbols.
1- Document Options>Fonts specifies that for Chord Suffix, a change in the font would only affect items created after font changes are applied. I changed the suffix font size and when I create a new chord symbol in the document, it still uses the old font size. Am I missing something?
2- Finale offers a tool to replace chord suffix fonts in Chord>Change Chord Suffix Fonts. The Finale manual (note that this is for Mac but I am on Windows) states: https://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/Fin ... bols20.htm
Finally, for best results, be sure that the Fix Chord Suffix Spacing checkbox is selected, so that Finale automatically adjusts the individual characters in each chord suffix to compensate for the new font and size.
Select a type style, and then click OK. You return to the document, where Finale has changed the font for your chord suffixes. Finale is smart enough, however, not to change any musical symbols within the suffix, such as the in F79.

How is it smart not to adjust the accidentals' size?! I would have expected accidentals to change accordingly too or for the tool to offer the feature to adjust accidental's size concurrently too.

This is for F2007.

Thanks.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:01 pm

When you change the font and/or size of the suffix in Document Options > Fonts > Chords, the suffixes already in the library are not affected. If you enter a chord suffix in the normal way, using one of the existing library suffixes, no change will occur. However, if you create a brand new suffix from scratch by clicking the "create" button in the suffix editor, you will find the new settings are being used.

In order to change the existing library suffixes, use the utility you mention in your paragraph 2–Chord > Change Chord Suffix Fonts.

So far as Finale not changing size of suffix accidentals, you need to run Chord > Change Chord Suffix Fonts an additional time, this time specifying the font/size used for the accidentals, such as Maestro.

I hope I've understood what you've written and are asking–if not, come back.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

sPretzel
Finale Version: Finale 2007
Operating System: Windows

Post by sPretzel » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:20 pm

Hi N. Thanks for stepping in once again. Yes, this answers my questions.

jeff1326
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by jeff1326 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:35 pm

This is one of so many many problems with Finale. This is so stupid. Changing the chord font should be possible with one or two clicks, not having to go round and round like they make you do. Another example of the bloated coding of this stupid software.