Chord symbol spacing

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

sPretzel
Finale Version: Finale 2007
Operating System: Windows

Post by sPretzel » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:30 am

Hi.

Is it possible to set/adjust the horizontal spacing after the chord symbol (letter) and before the suffix or alteration? It is possible to do that via the suffix by changing the H value for the first character of the suffix. But when the suffix is made of multiple characters, this requires adjusting the H spacing for every suffix character accordingly.

This is for F2007 Win.

Thanks.

elbsound
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5

Post by elbsound » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:06 pm

There is a JW Lua plug-in script that can do this ( https://elbsound.studio/jw-lua-scripts. ... gechordgap ).
It does exactly what you say:
it changes the horizontal offset of all chord suffix symbols (from all chords) by a given offset.

Though I don't know how good JW Lua performs in Fin2007. I have only tested starting in Fin2012.

Jan

sPretzel
Finale Version: Finale 2007

Post by sPretzel » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:52 pm

Hi elbsound,

I was actually looking into changing the horizontal offset of the chord symbol (letter) only. That's the same thing really, but Finale offers a way to adjust horizontal offset of the suffix but not the chord symbol letter itself. If there is a way or workaround that does not involve a script/plugin, please advise.

Thanks.

elbsound
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5

Post by elbsound » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:34 pm

Yes, the plug-in can do both: change the position of the chord symbol and/or change the position of the chord suffixes.
In other words: you can keep the position of the (first) chord suffix and move the chord symbol only.
Or keep the position of the chord symbol and move the chord suffixes away.
Or move both.

It's not possible to do it without a plug-in (unless you do it manually for each chord which takes forever...).