Issues with Graphic Distortion

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

johnmusic992648
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by johnmusic992648 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:05 am

Hello Everybody!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with this, or if perhaps I am simply using the wrong settings when printing a PDF file using Adobe.

For some reason, the PNG file I'm using at the very top of my score looks fine while in Finale, but as soon as I print the document as a PDF (even using high quality settings) it is coming out distorted.

I've uploaded my finale file, a JPEG of the PDF and the original PNG file in a zip. Does anyone have any idea how I might fix this issue?

Much appreciated!!!

John

Finale 25.5.0.290
Windows

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:18 am

If you give your graphic a white background instead of a transparent background, it looks better.

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1

Post by Anders Hedelin » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:29 pm

John, I'm not sure we have exactly the same issue, but here is something possibly connected that I've encountered:

When I make a graphic image, fx a PDF, from a Finale document it looks fine in fx Adobe Reader. But when I import it back into Finale it has a very poor resolution. I believe that PDFs are vector graphics (?), but when I reimport them into Finale, to my eye they look like pixellated, well, anyhow very poorly resolved. How is this possible? Doesn't the left hand of Finale know what its right hand is doing?

Could be that the importing graphics into Finale is the culprit.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

johnmusic992648
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by johnmusic992648 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:59 pm

motet wrote:If you give your graphic a white background instead of a transparent background, it looks better.
Motet, thank you for this! I'll go ahead and give it a try. Funny - I figured maybe a transparent background would let Finale work less hard with the file. But perhaps it needs a little hand holding in that department. Much appreciated!!!

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:28 pm

Anders Hedelin wrote:John, I'm not sure we have exactly the same issue, but here is something possibly connected that I've encountered:

When I make a graphic image, fx a PDF, from a Finale document it looks fine in fx Adobe Reader. But when I import it back into Finale it has a very poor resolution. I believe that PDFs are vector graphics (?), but when I reimport them into Finale, to my eye they look like pixellated, well, anyhow very poorly resolved. How is this possible? Doesn't the left hand of Finale know what its right hand is doing?

Could be that the importing graphics into Finale is the culprit.
I've seen that happen with PDF or EPS images, which nevertheless print OK. That's not the case with the raster image here, though. Without the transparent background, it looks fine in both Finale and the resultant PDF file.

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1

Post by Anders Hedelin » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:27 pm

motet wrote:
Anders Hedelin wrote: When I make a graphic image, fx a PDF, from a Finale document it looks fine in fx Adobe Reader. But when I import it back into Finale it has a very poor resolution.
I've seen that happen with PDF or EPS images, which nevertheless print OK. That's not the case with the raster image here, though. Without the transparent background, it looks fine in both Finale and the resultant PDF file.
In my case the imported graphic images didn't print well. (I tried with both PDF, TIFF and EPS.)
Next time I will try your white background!
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10