Adding a mid-measure clef to one staff only

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

nikk
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by nikk » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:35 pm

Hey everyone,

I've tried a few different ways around this issue, but haven't managed to make it work yet (and I really don't want to resort to using a clef as an articulation):

In the attachment here, you can see that I'm using cut-out scoring and that the trombone 1 enters after a rest. While the two other trombones are in bass clef, the first is in tenor, and I want to be able to "remind" the conductor of that...yet if I force that measure to show the clef always, it does it in the part as well...and that will get confusing for the player if there is a tenor clef, then another tenor clef a little later on....

So basically, I need a way to include/re-show a clef for instruments entering mid-measure on the score only, hopefully avoiding using clefs as articulations....is there such a way?

Screen Capture.jpg
+++
Nikk
OS 10.15.8 (Big Sur)/Finale 26.3.1

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:20 pm

Staff Styles might help here. Maybe create one for just the part that hides the clef.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

nikk

Post by nikk » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:28 pm

zuill wrote:Staff Styles might help here. Maybe create one for just the part that hides the clef.

Zuill
Do you mean, create a staff style that hides the clef in the parts but shows it in the score? Wouldn't that interfere with all the clefs on the parts?

Or am I misunderstanding what you mean?
+++
Nikk

zuill

Post by zuill » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:49 pm

You apply it to just that one measure in that staff. I guess I would need to see the file to know for sure.

Zuill

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:21 pm

If all else fails, there is room for a courtesy clef entered as an Expression. Once entered, right click on the clef and under Expression Assignment specify "Show on Score Only".

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

zuill

Post by zuill » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:58 pm

Again, since I can't examine the file in question, I can't say my approach would work. However, I've attached a demo showing what I mean, just in cast it might be of help.

Zuill

nikk

Post by nikk » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:13 pm

N Grossingink wrote:If all else fails, there is room for a courtesy clef entered as an Expression. Once entered, right click on the clef and under Expression Assignment specify "Show on Score Only".

N.
How would this be done? I don't think I've ever seen "Show on Score Only" in any of the other expressions...come to think of it, I am not sure how I would even create a clef as an expression instead of as an articulation...
+++
Nikk

nikk

Post by nikk » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:15 pm

zuill wrote:Again, since I can't examine the file in question, I can't say my approach would work. However, I've attached a demo showing what I mean, just in cast it might be of help.

Zuill
Hmm....I did the exact same thing before, but when I do it, it shows up in my part. I must be missing something...I'm going to try this again later.
+++
Nikk

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:27 pm

nikk wrote:
N Grossingink wrote:If all else fails, there is room for a courtesy clef entered as an Expression. Once entered, right click on the clef and under Expression Assignment specify "Show on Score Only".

N.
How would this be done? I don't think I've ever seen "Show on Score Only" in any of the other expressions...come to think of it, I am not sure how I would even create a clef as an expression instead of as an articulation...
Create a new Expression in the Miscellaneous category. Set the font to Maestro 24pt and type capital "B" to get the C clef. When it appears in the score, right click on it with the Selection Tool. Select "Edit Expression Assignment" from the drop down menu and make the settings as in the picture.

N.
Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 1.18.45 PM.png
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

nikk

Post by nikk » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:42 pm

N Grossingink wrote:
nikk wrote:

N.
Create a new Expression in the Miscellaneous category. Set the font to Maestro 24pt and type capital "B" to get the C clef. When it appears in the score, right click on it with the Selection Tool. Select "Edit Expression Assignment" from the drop down menu and make the settings as in the picture.

N.
Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 1.18.45 PM.png
Nice! I had never had occasion to delve into the "Edit Expression" box, even after all these years, so I just learned something new that will likely be applicable to another issue I've been having. Thank you so much!
+++
Nikk

zuill

Post by zuill » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:43 pm

nikk wrote:
zuill wrote:Again, since I can't examine the file in question, I can't say my approach would work. However, I've attached a demo showing what I mean, just in cast it might be of help.

Zuill
Hmm....I did the exact same thing before, but when I do it, it shows up in my part. I must be missing something...I'm going to try this again later.
In my file, the Staff Style is applied only in the part.

Zuill