Stemlet / rest alignment

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jjm
Finale Version: 26.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by jjm » Tue May 07, 2019 11:45 pm

Hi all,

I believe I’ve read others speaking to this issue some years back, but I haven’t heard anything on it for quite a while: Is there any way in v. 26 to adjust the horizontal alignment of stemlets (half-stems) with the rests over which they extend? It seems like this is a pretty important visual element that should have been addressed by now, and I don’t know of any workarounds that don’t involve drawing beams each by hand.

This is on my mind now for two reasons: first, that I’ve recently spent some time with Dorico and they have this stuff looking correct automatically from the start; and second, I noticed that the Document Options dialog for beams shows an example graphic with the rests centered on the stems as they should be, which I find really irritating! Not fair showing a sample that cannot be recreated in a document!

Thanks,

Justin
---------
Finale 26.1
iMac 21.5" mid-2011 running Sierra

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Wed May 08, 2019 4:41 pm

The stemlets align with the rests the same way the regular stems align with the noteheads. The net effect is that the stems and stemlets are spaced evenly, which is highly desirable from an optical spacing standpoint. How would you like this to be handled differently? Can you post a screenshot of the way Dorico does it?

N.
Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 11.27.32 AM.png
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3