doubled tempo markings

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mulberry9
Finale Version: 25.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by mulberry9 » Wed May 08, 2019 2:31 pm

Finale 25, Windows 10
I have followed the tutorial to the T but every time I try to insert a tempo marking I get two of them, one above the vocal stave and one above the top piano stave. then, I am unable to delete one of them (even though I can highlight just one of them, when I hit delete, both are gone.)

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed May 08, 2019 2:35 pm

Instead of deleting, just hide the one you want. Right-click in the handle, and uncheck Show.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Wed May 08, 2019 2:42 pm

Check the Score list of the category the expression came from (probably Tempo Marks). The display boxes should be checked only once, for the top of the score and also for the top of the parts.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed May 08, 2019 6:17 pm

Scroll in the window below to see everything.

mulberry9
Finale Version: 25.1

Post by mulberry9 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:16 pm

thanks, that worked.

and on to the next problem. Lyrics - trying to edit them, and they are all messed up with somehow-copied lyrics showing in the piece but not in the lyrics box. They are NOT text typed into text boxes - everything i've done has been in the Lyrics box. What appears in the lyrics box is what I want. But extra, copied lyrics (rite, rite, song, an) are appearing in the music. I can't figure out how to get rid of the extra stuff, and assign the correct syllables to each note. Every time I try something, it gets worse.
Also, I can't figure out how to attach my screenshot here...

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:27 am

mulberry9 wrote:… and on to the next problem. Lyrics - trying to edit them, and they are all messed up with somehow-copied lyrics showing in the piece but not in the lyrics box. They are NOT text typed into text boxes - everything i've done has been in the Lyrics box. What appears in the lyrics box is what I want. But extra, copied lyrics (rite, rite, song, an) are appearing in the music. I can't figure out how to get rid of the extra stuff, and assign the correct syllables to each note. Every time I try something, it gets worse …
From your description it sounds like you have copied lyrics along with other stuff, such as notes, expressions, articulations &c.
- right?
If you do so, you get the mess you describe.

What I would do:
1) Use the dialog box Clear Selected Items to clear all lyrics from the document.
2) From now on, use the Copy Filter with Lyrics de-selected so that you copy music without copying lyrics.
3) Clean up the contents in the window Lyrics. Beware that there may be multiple Verses, Choruses, Sections.
4) When the contents in the Lyrics window are as needed, use Click Assignment to place the lyrics in the layout.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996