measure number/regions for multi-movements

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Michel R E » Thu May 09, 2019 6:10 am

Is there a "best" way, a more efficient order in which to take each step when preparing a score that has multiple measure number regions?

I'm finishing off the score of a violin concerto, and having ridiculous amounts of trouble with stupid details.

first thing: I insert a measure between each movement, in which I place a text expression for the title of that movement. I then hide the staff itself. this works fine. But then, to remove that measure from measure numbering seems to throw everything off, and NOT by 1 measure.

if I have to insert a double barline somewhere in the 2nd movement, when I click on the measure it won't allow me to change the barline, it always throws it off by 2 or 3 measures. this is VERY frustrating behaviour.

I have two cadenzas, which must not be part of the measure numbering, one in the 2nd movement, and another in the 3rd. how the heck do I do this without having this annoying "measure offset" problem?

is there an order to setting up measure number regions that is more efficient? I find that I lose my place and have no idea what measure numbers are supposed to be listed (the damned thing shows measure numbers as movt/measure number rather than the actual numbers).
Do I have to write out all the amounts of numbers per movement, then do all the math to make sure each movement starts at measure 1?

it would be so nice if I could just select measures and "create measure number region" from that selection, then select my next set of measures and do the same thing.
or is this already implemented and I simply don't know how to do it?

Or is there a plugin that simplifies the task?

this is what I need:
1st movement is measures 1 through 165.
2nd movement starts over at 1, but stops measure numbers at 58 for a lengthy cadenza, then would start over at 59 (which is actually 88 for that movement).
3rd movement again starts at 1, then stops for another cadenza at 262, for 73 measures, and would start measure numbering again at 263.
neither of the cadenzas would have any measure numbers.

Do I start from the final measure number region I need and work my way back toward the beginning?
or do I have to sit and write down all the regions and the numbers of measures and where they're supposed to start/end even before doing so in Finale?

This is one aspect of Finale that I find terribly cludgy.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Thu May 09, 2019 6:41 am

Have you unchecked the measure attribute "include in measure numbering" in your cadenza and inter-movement spacers? If so, that's what's responsibe for the off-by-a-few-measures problem's you're having. I think it was Zuill who discovered if you use the program option "display actual measure numbers," you circumvent this bug.

I avoid unchecking those measure attributes, opting instead to have more regions. (The unnumbered measures are not in any region.)

I've never used it, but I JW Measure Numbers seems to have a lot of useful stuff that would help here.

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by David Ward » Thu May 09, 2019 11:01 am

I don't have Finale open at present so can't confirm the details, but once you have selected ‘display actual measure numbers’ there are two JW plugins you may find useful, namely ‘Start New Piece’ (for each new movement etc) and ‘ Conceal Barlines’ (for cadenzas).
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Thu May 09, 2019 2:55 pm

thanks both.

David, the conceal barlines one isn't of much use to me, as these are long and measured cadenzas, with tempo changes, different time signatures, etc...

I did some tests into the wee hours of the morning last night, and was able to get the desired result. but damn! it was a pain in the oboe.

now I have to replicate all of this in my "parts" file (I use different files for score and for parts)
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.