Manual measure width adjustments keep changing

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

BugleMe
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by BugleMe » Sat May 11, 2019 4:02 pm

I am running Finale 2014.5 on a Mac using OS High Sierra 10.13.6
Using Measure Tool - How do I keep measures from changing their widths after I make adjustments?
I’d like to “Set it and forget it” but when I adjust a measure width and move onto something else and then print it, I see that my adjustments have gone back to whatever Finale wants them to be. What can I do to stop this automatic migration?
Is there some setting in "Document Options" or "Preferences" that I should turn off?

Thank you for any help you can offer!
Scott

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sat May 11, 2019 4:31 pm

You are somehow triggering music spacing--you might want to turn off "Automatic Music Spacing." (Don't turn off Automatic Update Layout!) Another thing that can happen is if you edit music in measures involving multimeasure rests--even if in a different part*--that can trigger respacing. To prevent this you can turn off Document options / Multimeasure rests / Update automatically, but if you do that, if you add music in the middle of a rest, you need to manually recreate the rest in a part.

*Another TERRIBLE bug they seem unable to fix.

BugleMe
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by BugleMe » Mon May 27, 2019 8:33 pm

Thanks Motet for your advise, it fixed the problem I was having!