Drum set issue

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jdpmus
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by jdpmus » Sun May 26, 2019 3:01 pm

In the templates I have set up in the Score Manager. the "classic jazz drum set" in GIFF or GJBB always sounds weak and doesn't cut through the mix. If I change to the Smart Synth set I get a fuller sound, though not quite the same instrument layout. I've tried re-entering the drum patterns (I use a clip file with different variations and rhythms) and even importing midi drum files from third party sources. Still, the drums are faint compared to the rest of the sounds.

I realize that having a drummer that doesn't play loud is a luxury, but I would like a more authentic track to match the other instruments.

Any ideas?

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Sun May 26, 2019 8:29 pm

For this known weakness about the drum samples, one method I have used is to put them in a separate bank and crank the bank volume up to as high as you can.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

jdpmus
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by jdpmus » Sun May 26, 2019 9:28 pm

I'll give that a try. I only discovered the volume settings in the banks while working on another issue.

Thanks.

ttw
Finale Version: 27.4
Operating System: Windows

Post by ttw » Mon May 27, 2019 3:42 am

I found another advantage in using several Aria players for different groups of instruments. My current setup is a few woodwinds (flute, clarinet), brass (two trumpets, trombone), piano, bass (plucked acoustic 2 or a bowed bass with lots of pizzicato) and several percussion (congas, bongos, timbales, cowbell, agogo bell, maracas, guero, claves, etc.) and sometimes a harp or guitar. I can not only use different volume settings, but also different reverb for each group. I usually group woodwinds, brass, piano, bass, Latin1 drums, Latin2 percussion, in different players. The bells go various places. The only downside is that it takes a while to set up each one so I rarely have more than 5 to 7. However, the controls are a bit different from flute to piano to bass so it's nice to have various Aria players.

I no longer use the Ambience Reverb; I just choose a venue (usually a ballroom or concert hall) and experiment till I like the result.