Font baseline in Text items and staff names

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jjm
Finale Version: 26.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by jjm » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:58 pm

Hello all,

I just started using the Golden Age music font (GldngFIN), which works great. I also installed the font called "Golden Age Text" which is an otf font. It works fine when I use it in text expressions. However, when I place text using the text tool or use it for staff names, the text appears about one line's worth of space below where it should appear. In other words, the little handle is way above the top of the text itself as if there were a baseline shift. What might I be missing here? I first thought it was an issue with the font in general, but I cannot understand why it would line up correctly with the expression tool but not in other tools.

Thanks,

Justin
---------
Finale 26.1
iMac 21.5" mid-2011 running Sierra

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:08 pm

I've noticed this too, to a greater or lesser degree depending on the font. How does your font respond in other programs, like Text Edit or Pages? That will tell you if it's the font or Finale that's causing the problem.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

jjm
Finale Version: 26.1

Post by jjm » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:18 am

Of course, I should have thought of that. It does appear as though double-spaced in other applications. I wonder if there's a way to alter the font to fix that, at least without some kind of font design software. I'll have to look into it. Thank you.
---------
Finale 26.1
iMac 21.5" mid-2011 running Sierra

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:37 pm

You probably know, but if you make templates for the scores affected by this and adjust the position of the staff names, you'll only have to do this once. For the page text at the top and bottom of the page (title and copyright) just move the text box so the top or bottom of the text is touching the page margin.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Perotinus
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by Perotinus » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:24 pm

Does the baseline shift feature within the text tool help at all? If it is a single value that needs entering, a FinaleScript or hotkey asignment might do the job?
Perotinus

Finale 27.3
Windows 10 Enterprise

elbsound
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by elbsound » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:09 am

Could it be that this is a Mac-only issue?
On Windows I didn't couldn't reproduce this problem (tested in Fin2014 and Fin2014.5): the GoldenAgeText font has no alignment problem in staff names or text blocks. I only noticed that Finale/Windows has the common "Font Name" problem as it suggests "GoldenAge" as font name while you have to manually type "GoldenAgeText" to get the correct font (similar to the "Maestro wide" issue: https://elbsound.studio/font-names-in-finale.php ). But this probably doesn't have to do with your problem.

One idea: create a font annotation file for this text font (i.e. click on Auto-Annotate All in Preferences->Edit->Font Annotation and then click on save, then restart Finale). Does this help?

Jan
https://elbsound.studio