repeat on score but not parts

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

larrycfc
Finale Version: v26.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by larrycfc » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:19 pm

In a jazz band chart I'm transcribing, there's a section of 8 bars with 1st & 2nd endings for all parts except for Tpt 2, which has a 16 measure solo written out. It's not necessary for the score to have the entire solo, so is there a way to do this? I suppose I could just write out the 16 bars for everyone since it's mostly rests anyway, but curious about doing it the way the old handwritten chart was done.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:20 am

It can be done, but I am not sure it is worth the effort.

The secret is that score and parts can be different with staff styles.
You can apply a staff style to the score only, or to the part only.

Write out the 16 measures for everyone.
Use this {16 measures written out} layout in the score, and in the Tpt 2 part.

In the other parts, hide the un-needed measures by applying Blank Notation staff style, and by setting the Measure Widths to zero.

Use the Repeat menu to create the 1st and 2nd ending.

In the score, and in the Tpt 2 part, use a staff style to hide the repeat endings.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

HaraldS
Finale Version: 25.5

Post by HaraldS » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:30 am

I would avoid any solution which leads to different measure numbers among players or the score. These scenarios often lead to unproductive and lenghty discussions in rehearsals. Instead, you might give the Tpt 2 two staves, where the 16-bar solo is written out over the 8 repeated bars which everyone sees.

Hide the second staff systems wherever necessary. You can even hide the written-out solo in the score replacing it with slashes by using a staff style.
Beside that, that's how it is done in commercial (community) jazz band publishing.
Finale 3.0-25.5, German edition, Windows 7
trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:08 pm

there's a section of 8 bars with 1st & 2nd endings for all parts except for Tpt 2, which has a 16 measure solo written out.
Write it out. When you print the parts you can edit them separately to show what you want. Just be sure you saved it complete. Not as the edited single parts.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.