Newly Discovered Bug

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:47 am

In researching issues with files in which entering lyrics resulted in Finale locking up (a topic posted here and a topic posted on the MakeMusic forum), I discovered an odd behavior, and I have determined this behavior began in Finale 2014, and persists to v26.1.

Basically, Finale has a feature by which the Measure Attributes automatically checks the option to Break Smart Word Extensions when entering certain barlines besides the default. It also does this for Backward Repeats. What I discovered is that, if one doesn't want that option, and one unchecks that option, then saves and reopens the file, the unchecking sticks for barlines, but not for repeat signs. In my testing in Finale 2011 and 2012, opening the file respects the selection for repeat signs. However, if you open the same file in 2014, 2014.5, v25 or v26, the option has been rechecked in the measures with the Backward Repeats.

So far, I can't find a way to prevent this unwanted behavior. Generally, one does want to have this option checked. However, I was trying to determine if this behavior was contributing to the lyrics crashing issue. In the file from the MakeMusic forum, I found a couple of steps that lead to stopping the crashing. However, this newly discovered bug threw me off. When I unchecked the option, then, before closing the file, entered the lyrics tool, Finale didn't crash. However, if I saved and then reopened the file, Finale crashed when trying to enter lyrics at the measure needed. In fact, if I just entered one syllable, then closed, upon reopening, I could enter more lyrics without crashing.

This is quite odd behavior. What alerted me to investigate this setting in the first place came about by discovering that when I deleted all the repeats, then saved and reopened Finale, entering lyrics didn't cause the crashing. I spent quite a bit of time on this to be certain of my findings.

So, if I am off base, and my testing is missing anything, I would love to be set straight.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:36 am

I can get it to happen with a backwards repeat. I thought maybe it was file maintenance, which runs when opening a file, but running file maintenance before saving doesn't recheck the option.

If there are word exensions, though, they remain when the file is reopened even though the option is rechecked. That is, until you respace music or open the measure attributers dialog and press OK, at which point they disappear.
Attachments
0024.png
0024.png (78.9 KiB) Viewed 1680 times

zuill

Post by zuill » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:46 am

That is correct about the extensions remaining, at least temporarily. The reason I unchecked them was because I was troubleshooting the crashing behavior. What was surprising was the return of the checkmark after re-opening. One thing that still surprises me is why having that checked was causing the freezing. I unchecked them for the whole document in the one test file, and that cured the problem long enough to get the lyric input kick started. Why entering only one syllable seems to have averted crashing after saving and re-opening is yet a mystery to me.

The user with the problem file sent it to MakeMusic and they don't know the cause or the cure (or the quick-fix I discovered). They reported that they believe the issue starts in the 12th page. I have yet to deal with that report as far as testing.

Zuill

zuill

Post by zuill » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:49 pm

I just filed an official support request on this. I explained the issue as well as possible. I hope they take this seriously.

Zuill

zuill

Post by zuill » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:08 am

MakeMusic support has confirmed my findings. Because it started in 2014, they believe it was introduced when the file format went to musx. The person with whom I have received the communication has passed this information on to the development team. How this went unnoticed for 5 years is puzzling. Again, the behavior only seems to be related to backward repeat signs and not other barlines. I also referred them to the issue of Finale freezing up when entering lyrics with the file I was testing from the "other" forum. I hope they will take another look at that file in light of my findings.

Zuill