Copying and Pasting with different key signatures

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:20 pm

I'm trying to combine two movements into one file. Score Merger made a mess out of things, so I thought it would be nice and easy to copy and paste the second movement onto the end of the first. I checked in advance to make sure that EVERYTHING would be copied, including key signatures. Alas, the clarinet part, which is for clarinet in B flat throughout, copied and pasted without its appropriate key signatures, and the entire clarinet part is transposed into the same keys as the C instruments.

How can I just have it copy exactly as it is onto the end of the first movement without any changes at all?

I'm attaching the two files in question--unless they end up being too big to upload.

Thanks,

Mark

Mac OS 10.14.5
Finale 26.1.0

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:51 pm

Did you select complete measure stacks?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:59 pm

miker wrote:Did you select complete measure stacks?
Yes, I made sure of that, and I just re-did just in case. It's still not doing the key signature/transposition of the clarinet correctly, though everything else--like time signatures--that depend on selecting complete measure stacks copied just fine.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:44 pm

I'm a bit confused. You have a second and a third movement posted. You talk about putting a second movement on to the end of a first. Where's the first? Also, in the second movement, you have clarinet picked, but there is no clarinet transposition set (transposition is None). So maybe that is part of the problem. I'll wait to try putting them together until those questions are answered.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:54 pm

I don't think copying will set the staff transposition, so that's probably all you need to do.

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:09 pm

zuill wrote:I'm a bit confused. You have a second and a third movement posted. You talk about putting a second movement on to the end of a first. Where's the first? Also, in the second movement, you have clarinet picked, but there is no clarinet transposition set (transposition is None). So maybe that is part of the problem. I'll wait to try putting them together until those questions are answered.

Zuill
Sorry for the confusion. I am only trying to merge these two movements, the 2nd and the 3rd, so I was referring to the first and the second of these.

This is a piece from 1994, when certain things were much harder to do on Finale than they are now. Because movement 2 has no key signature, it was probably easier for me at the time to just copy it into the score a whole step higher than sounding. But movement 3 DOES have key signatures throughout, C major at the beginning and A flat major later on. I suppose this is the problem, that movement 2 has no transposition for the clarinet, and movement 3 does.

Thanks much for your help!

Mark

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:14 pm

motet wrote:I don't think copying will set the staff transposition, so that's probably all you need to do.

Given my response to Zuill above, maybe it's just not possible for me to combine these two movements into one. (The reason I want to do this is because the parts for the two will take up exactly 2 pages each, but movement 2 will be much less than a full page).

On the other hand, my very first piece copied on Finale, in late 1989, had this same issue: a section of the piece (for clarinet and piano) with no key signature and the rest with key signature. I remember that there was a way to do it; if only I could remember how--especially given that this is all copied out already.

Thanks!

Mark

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:18 pm

Aha! I think I got it. I'm smarter than I realized--or it's just way easier than I expected it to be. I was able to define a staff style for the clarinet line from the beginning of movement 3 on.

I'll let you know if it all works out.

Thanks,

Mark

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:32 pm

I used Score Merger for the attached file. It added another staff for the Bass Clarinet, then hid the other staff when Movement 3 started. I just needed to resize the new staff to 70% in the score. To get a linked part that works for the Clarinet, you'll have to put both staves in it, then hide the staves where empty. Merging generally causes a need to revamp linked parts, so the other parts, of course, will need some work.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."