Why are sections greyed out in the Repeat tool in Finale

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: miker, Peter Thomsen

HankJazz
Finale Version: 25.5
Operating System: Mac

Why are sections greyed out in the Repeat tool in Finale

Post by HankJazz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:50 pm

I have a colleague who wants a repeat on only one staff in a grouped set of staves.

On his version, and I tested it on mine, the section with checkbox "Allow Individual Edits" and the "Show On:" are greyed out. I checked Document Options>Repeats and there is no option there. I also checked Staff Attributes and deselected Items to Display>Repeat Bars, but that ruins the Staff Groups, and adding another didn't work either. What's the fix?

Re: Why are sections greyed out in the Repeat tool in Finale

by Sponsor

Forum Sponsor

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:14 pm

The option you are talking about is not available for repeat Bars, but repeat Brackets (endings). Thus, they are greyed out.

Regarding the barline, if what you mean is that, when using a staff style, for example, to hide the repeat sign, the staves are now not connected when in a group. There's one workaround I know of, but it depends on how you answer. Also, if you do want the staves connected, what would be the type of barline needed? If the other staves have a repeat sign, with a traditional Finale Barline look, maybe that is what you want.

Zuill
Windows 7, Finale 2011-v26.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

HankJazz
Finale Version: 25.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by HankJazz » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:10 pm

Hi Zuill. We used to converse years ago, but when the Forum switched, I left. Thank you for your reply.
Indeed, the dialog box is not grayed out on endings, so that mystery is solved.
I used a simple custom Staff Style called "No Repeats" which works locally on a measure by measure basis.
Regarding the broken staff groupings, they don't break on forward repeats, but do break on backwards repeats.
My work around was to use the line tool in Smart Shapes, and holding down Shift produces a perfect vertical line, which I can nudge into place with left and right keyboard arrows. If you have a more elegant workaround please share.
Thanks