Composing in Finale....Is there a more satisfying feeling?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:04 pm

I wish the BBS software had a "forget this thread" function.

Jay Emmes
Finale Version: 25.4.1.164
Operating System: Mac

Post by Jay Emmes » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:07 pm

Anders Hedelin wrote: I would wish this forum to be open to all kinds of discussions in any way related to the use of Finale. If you are not interested in a particular thread, it's very easy to skip it, or skim it if you have to read.
Couldn't agree more.
Running Finale 25.4.1.163 in OS X 10.11.6

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1

Post by Anders Hedelin » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:44 pm

Two respected members of this forum have expressed dissatisfaction with this thread, miker and motet. I still haven't understood exactly why. I don't buy the description of this discussion as 'philosophical', miker. That, in my ears, would imply something 'academically abstract' or 'futile' or even 'esoteric'. I don't think it is. Composing is what some of us do, occasionally with Finale. And to get to know of the possibilities and the limits of this great software, when and how to use it, when and why not to, is just valuable information.
Motet, you say that you would like to forget the whole thread. No problem. It would have been easier though if you have specified what, or who, it was that you found so disappointing - suddenly, as you were taking part in the discussion at first. Innuendo never was a fruitful method of discussion.

I read through the whole thread once more and I couldn't find anything offensive or out of sorts more than possibly two reactions. One of them my own. I would like to apologize for that, Jay Emmes.
Otherwise I don't feel that I have anything to apologize for. And I certainly don't think Djard has anything whatsoever to apologize for. Many of us, if not all, are committed people, very likely to be carried away with the topic, very likely to use too strong words in the heat of the moment. But what is this, a forum for the beautiful and flawless lot?
Last edited by Anders Hedelin on Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

HaraldS
Finale Version: 25.5

Post by HaraldS » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:06 pm

I do support Anders' view of the situation.

Indeed, it's quite interesting to get some insight how Finale is used by others and how users think of Finale as a notation/composing/producing tool. It reminds me that I probably use the very same software in a quite different fashion than others, which in turn helps in understanding questions in this forum.
Finale 3.0-25.5, German edition, Windows 7
trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany

motet

Post by motet » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:25 pm

I was making a comment on the BBS software, not this topic. When I visit I click "View unread posts." If there's something I'm not interested in, I have to do something to dismiss it every time. It would be nice to have a way of dismissing the thread once and for all.

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1

Post by Anders Hedelin » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:44 pm

motet wrote:I was making a comment on the BBS software, not this topic. When I visit I click "View unread posts." If there's something I'm not interested in, I have to do something to dismiss it every time. It would be nice to have a way of dismissing the thread once and for all.
Yes, wouldn't it be nice. Maybe you changed the subject a bit.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

motet

Post by motet » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:28 pm

I think my comments were in response to what preceded them, but since it's unlikely the BBS software will change, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it.

Jay Emmes
Finale Version: 25.4.1.164
Operating System: Mac

Post by Jay Emmes » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:40 pm

Deacon Don wrote: I know a composer who fired a shotgun at blank manuscript. Music concrete was composed using
a tool for composing.
Yes, aleatoric is (was, really) a method of composing, but that has nothing to do with Finale. Finale will never enter notes for you (nor will the lawn mower), you will have to enter them, so you're the composer, not Finale. [As for the aleatoric example: not the shotgun made notes ending up on the paper, but the person firing the shot gun; the shotgun was the notating tool, the shooter was the 'composer' — but that aside].

If this thread has shown anything, it is that there is a lot of confusion on the definitions of and differences between notating and composing. I have tried to make the distinction clearer, but have failed miserably. As a result of this confusion, miker, it will be inevitable that any discussion on notating issues can and often will end up in or transform into a discussion on composing.

I do understand that it is not the purpose of this forum to be a platform for discussing compositorial topics and I will never initiate one, but do enjoy reading them and participating in them when feeling urged to do so. I will try to constrain myself.

Anders Hedelin, I have not taken offence at anything you said, so there is no need for apologising. I appreciate the kindness and decency of the gesture, though.
Running Finale 25.4.1.163 in OS X 10.11.6