Creating multi-jointed slurs

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

AnAmericanComposer
Finale Version: 2012c
Operating System: Windows

Post by AnAmericanComposer » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:01 pm

Hello:

I am working on a rather condensed score that has a moment that requires me to use a slur that can be bent in multiple places, rather than the traditional concave slur. Is there a way of making such a slur in Finale? See the following images for reference:

The second system of this image shows a rather dramatic use of what I'm wanting:

Here is the section that has the need for the bending slur (red line is a rough estimation of what I want as a final product):
https://imgur.com/LMzIi8V

This slur won't be needed for the part scores, just for the full score because of its density. If I am not able to make this kind of slur I'm willing to make changes to accommodate the limitations of Finale (e.g. removing a system from this page to add more vertical space or trying to find a way to squeeze that mezzo-forte into the staff above it) but I would rather make this slur if possible.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:17 pm

1) If you (while in the Smart Shape Tool) click the handle on a slur, you get 5 diamond shaped handles, allowing you to customize the slur - and e. g. create an S-shaped slur.

2) You can combine slurs to create a more complex slur shape.

3) A completely different approach:
Create a PDF file of the score.
Edit the PDF in a vector based graphics program (a drawing program), like e. g. Illustrator, and add the slur there.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:27 pm

I think Peter’s #3 is the way to go. I couldn’t figure out a way to do it in Finale with the control points.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:53 pm

Rather than modify the shape of the slur, I'd try to find more vertical space in order to add space between the first 2 systems. It looks like you might be almost there.

You can tighten up the spacing between the staves in the 2 systems you picture. I'd put the tuplet brackets in the first system above the notes. I wouldn't try to place the slur above the 5 tuplet - just move the 5 up a bit above the slur.

If the rest of the systems on the page can be adjusted you might have the needed space. If not, reduce the page size of this page by 1%. That will give even more white space. Such a tiny resizing will be hardly noticeable.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:03 pm

I agree with N in that it is the rest of your spacing that is forcing the slur into a non-standard shape. In well-engraved music the slurs maintain simple gentle arcs unless there is a really pressing reason not to, as in the famous Ravel example above.

This having been said, the post again illustrates Finale's inability to handle complex slur shapes within a single slur, something that Dorico can do easily. However, while laborious, it is possible to assemble multiple Finale slurs into such shapes with pretty good results.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

AnAmericanComposer
Finale Version: 2012c
Operating System: Windows

Post by AnAmericanComposer » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:19 pm

Thank you all for the replies. I found space to expand vertically which got rid of my problem, but for the future you never know when you'll need a strange-shaped slur. I'll definitely will be considering Peter's ideas, thank you very much!

https://imgur.com/GmGXtiE