No longer able to change sound of instruments in Finale?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

CHEMICALCAT59
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by CHEMICALCAT59 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:21 pm

I'm using SmartMusic SoftSynth for all of my sounds; I've been working on a Brass Combo arrangement and had my mellophone part using the "Trombone" sound because it was fairly realistic. I switched it to Trumpet to see if it sounded better, and then I later decided I didn't like it and wanted to switch back to using the Trombone sound. However, when I went back into my ScoreManager and clicked on the drop down menu next to "Sound", I couldn't actually click on anything to change the sound back. I can see both sides of the drop down menu; the left side has different classes of instruments (Brass, Woodwind, etc.) and the right side has specific instruments (Trumpet, Trombone, Tuba, etc.). But when I try to click on "Trombone", the entire menu disappears and nothing happens; I'm stuck with my mellophone sounding like a trumpet. I can use my arrow keys to move up and down in the left menu, but if I move to anything other than "Brass" and press Enter, I get a message saying that Finale ran into an error and will shut down.

This is really frustrating and I can't find any help in forums or on Finale's website. Can anyone help me figure out what went wrong?

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:18 am

We might need to see a misbehaving file to confirm the behavior. If we are able to change the sound, then something might be up with your setup.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

CHEMICALCAT59

Post by CHEMICALCAT59 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:12 am

No problem, here is the file.

CHEMICALCAT59

Post by CHEMICALCAT59 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:14 am

Actually, I just tried again and was able to change the sound this time. I don't know what caused it last time because I tried restarting Finale multiple times, but it appears to be working normally for the time being.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:19 am

Cures usually come right after posting a file for examination by the forum. Now you know the secret of this community.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."