Extended technique graphics (wind instruments)

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

MowingDevil
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by MowingDevil » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:50 am

Hi there,

On flute or clarinet: a technique going from an air sound to a pure tone (or half air-half tone) and vice versa is often notated w/ an empty circle for air, filled in circle for tone and half empty-half filled in for the half air/tone sound. To go in-between you often see an arrow. Are these basic shapes available in Finale w/o creating them? ...I was checking out the shape designer and it seems rather clunky and I'm not an expert in illustrator.

Thought I'd ask here to see what options are available. If you do use illustrator do you save as a TIF file? Perhaps there's a font or plugin available that will provide symbols like this?

Callasmaniac
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Callasmaniac » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:05 pm

Good font for many kinds of modern music symbols is Bravura (free), And you can get the arrow line from smart shapes; ctrl-click the last box, you get to select from many more special lines. If you need even more bizarre symbols, nice and free font is Symbola. You can Google both fonts easily.

MowingDevil
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by MowingDevil » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:26 pm

Thanks for the reply. Have you had success w/ Bravura? I was reading some criticisms about bugs and working properly on PC but not entirely on Mac (apparently there's a bug where certain high number slots don't work). There's also Aruvarb and Fravura (apparently a Finale specific version of Bravura).