pima points position

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Sfardaklas
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by Sfardaklas » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:13 pm

Hello everyone. I need help in positionong the pima points for guitar automatically (attached photo). I don't want to have to manually fix every single one. Is there a way? Thank you
Χωρίς τίτλο.jpg

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:29 pm

Sfardaklas,

Your attached graphic does not tell much.
The better we understand, the better we can help.

We need more info:

What tool in Finale are you using for the pima points?

Please describe as precisely as possible how the pima points should be positioned.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Sfardaklas

Post by Sfardaklas » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:36 pm

The pima points are saved as lib file and I load it when I need to use them. I insert them with the articulation tool. What i want is a way to insert them in a fixed position on the side of every note (as shown in the picture) and not have to manually position every single one by hand. I want them to be placed automatically in a fixed distance on the side of the noteheads. I try to do it in the settings every time I insert one I choose note side but it does not put them where I want. I want it like in the photo.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:05 pm

Sfardaklas wrote:… placed automatically in a fixed distance on the side of the noteheads …
If I understand you correctly, you need them positioned relative to the noteheads, not relative to the staff, right?
And you need them positioned to the left of each notehead, at a fixed horizontal distance, right?

For that I would use the Expression Tool, rather than the Articulation Tool.
Articulations work fine when there is only one notehead on the stem, but your example shows some instances where there are multiple noteheads on the same stem (= a chord).

Create your pima points as expressions.
You might like to create a custom expression category (duplicate e. g. the Dynamics category), and set a default positioning for your new category.
For faster work, program expression metatools with your new expressions.
Then, while holding down the programmed metatool key on the computer keyboard, drag across the staff.
The expression will automatically position itself at its default positioning.

You can save your expressions as a library, and load that library into your template(s).
In that way all new documents will contain your custom expressions.

For {multiple noteheads on the same stem} (= a chord) you will have to enter the the expressions one by one, and adjust the vertical position:
While the expression handle is selected, hold down Shift, and hit Return.
In the dialog box Expression Assignment, hit the Tab key, to navigate to the Vertical position.
One scale step = 3pt.
To move the expression down by one scale step, subtract 3pt from the Vertical position.
To move down by 2 scale steps, subtract 6pt.
- &c.

Geddit?

Sfardaklas

Post by Sfardaklas » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:11 pm

I will give it a try thank you very much

thomsmit57
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by thomsmit57 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:42 pm

Sfardaklas:

As a guitarist with (ahem) 45 years of experience, this is the first time I've heard the expression "pima points."
Most U.S based guitarists would simply call them right hand fingerings. But I get it: p-i-m-a. I learned something new today.

Everything that Peter wrote is spot-on and exemplifies productive workflow with the software. The one issue that I disagree with is placement of the rh fingerings. And this might just be a matter of taste and experience, as there are 'standards,' but no rigid rules.

It's not common practice to place the right hand fingerings right next to the notes- that's reserved for left hand fingerings. Usually p-i-m-a indications go over the notes, but if space is limited or there is excessive crowding, some can go under the staff (usually "p") and the rest can go over top. It's easier for the player to read them in a straight line, or on a contour above the staff that follows the notes. And yes, for chords, rh fingerings are typically stacked vertically.

Just my two cents from engraving classical guitar music for 28 years. We often have to cram a lot of music and information onto one staff for solo guitar.
Guitarist, Composer, Arranger, Publisher, Engraver
Finale 27.4.1
iMac 27" running Ventura OS 13.6.6
Logic Pro 10.7, Korg M1 (vintage 1980s)
www.thomasmithmusic.com

Sfardaklas

Post by Sfardaklas » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:19 pm

thomsmith57 thank you for your reply. One last thing I need help with is how to save the expressions I created because I want them this way in all my documents

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:55 pm

Sfardaklas wrote:… One last thing I need help with, is how to save the expressions I created, because I want them this way in all my documents.
1) Make a duplicate copy of the Finale document that contains your custom expressions.
You can trash this duplicate copy when you are done.

2) Open the duplicate copy, and go to the Expression Selection.
Keep your custom (pima point) expressions, and delete all the other expressions.
Then, return to the score.

3) File menu > Save Library…
Save a library of just your expressions.
I suppose that your custom (pima point) expressions are text expressions, not shape expressions, right?
This means that you should save a library of Text Expressions.
Give your new expression library a name, and a place to live (and remember the location!).

4) Now you can load your new expression library into other Finale documents, e. g. the template(s) you use when creating new documents.
To load a library into a document:
a. Open the document.
b. File menu > Load Library…
(at this time you need to remember the location of your library!)

5) NB:
Expression metatools are not saved in the library.
When you have loaded the library, you can program metatools for your custom expressions.
If you program metatools in a template, then all new documents (created from that template) will have the programmed metatools.